Create a timestamp field that cannot be edited/modified

Copper Contributor

Hi I need to create a date/time field to act as a timestamp field. To be specific, I do not want the user to be able to edit or modify the date/time that they entered an item on the list. Is that possible? I am using a SharePoint List

4 Replies
I don't think you can set a column not-editable. You can hide the column so it's not visible so no one can see it to change it though. Google seems to have some older articles on how to work around this for a grid entry view (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/383836/sharepoint-modern-list-set-column-as-read...).

@Bentlee-Summers why not just use the created column? It will give the date and time a user added an item to the list, and it can't be modified.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Bentlee-Summers sharepoint online does not support field-level permissions, so if the user can edit the item , then the user will be able to edit all the fields.. you can create a separate list with more restrictive permission that is linked to the main list, and you can store the read-only timestamp field..

I was going to suggest the same thing but misread what the OP stated thinking the user entered the date/time not that it was entering the item so yeah this would be the best option.