Change thumbnail based on column value

Copper Contributor

Howdy

We release a weekly newsletter where we need to indicate if a program is "on track", "at risk" or "critical". I'm trying to ease the level of effort for authors when creating a page as much as possible. So my hope, was to have a page property of "status" with these three options. Based off the selection, sharepoint would select the appropriate page thumbnail based off two things:

1. The selected property status
  2. The author of the page, since each thumbnail is tailored to the author

My guess is the answer lies in column formatting, but my novice attempts have failed at producing results. So here I am!

TIA!

5 Replies

@guymeyer 

By "thumbnail", do you mean "Banner Image URL" (see below) or an image on the page?

clipboard_image_1.png

Interesting scenario.

Norm

Hey @Norman Young 

Sorry, I didnt get a notification here. The banner image URL..or to be more specific, whichever image is used as the thumbnail when a digest is created or news is aggregated in the "news" web part.

Hi @guymeyer,

As far as I know there is no way to change the banner image URL based on a property status. I looked at Flow as an option but couldn't find the right actions to piece it together.

Have you considered using Page templates in SharePoint Online? You could have a page template per status.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Yeah thats my plan B -- obviously its not ideal to maintain individual templates when we have 8 programs with three levels of status :)

That does sound cumbersome. 

If status was the only attribute required in the banner image URL and program was a page property displayed using the "Page properties" web part it may not be too cumbersome.

I hope this helps.

Norm