Capacity Planning

Copper Contributor

I have 2 share point lists which I am trying to get to interact with each other to see capacity of people.
the first list is a list of projects with day count estimates for a project manager, business analyst and tester and a start and end date of the project. Also on this list is a people column for the specific Project Manager, Business Analyst and Tester (once they are assigned)

the second list is the list of specific project managers, business analysts and testers and their total available days per month.

I would like the first list to recognise where the pm, BA and testers are over capacity if they are assigned to another project which exceeds their available days per month based on the start and end date.

is this possible to achieve ?

2 Replies
Yes, it is possible to achieve this using SharePoint. You can create a calculated column in the first list that calculates the number of days the project will consume for each resource based on the start and end date, and then compare that value with the available days per month in the second list for that resource. If the calculated value exceeds the available days, then you can display a warning message indicating that the resource is over capacity.

You can use SharePoint's formulas or Microsoft Flow to automate this process. For example, you can create a flow that runs every time a new project is added to the first list, and the flow can check if the assigned resources are over capacity. If the resources are over capacity, the flow can send an email notification or update the item in the first list with the warning message.

This process can become complex, but it is possible with the right approach and the proper use of SharePoint's built-in capabilities.

@Adnan Amin 

thank you - do you know what formulas I would use to achieve this?