Any Improvements to Site Invitation ?

Silver Contributor

When a user visits a SPO site that they are not a member of, they request access and the site owner gets an email and when they grant the requester access, the user gets put into the SPO Members group, and not into the associated O365 Group in a Member Role (which would be the preferred behavior).

Does anyone know if there were any announcements at Ignite about any plans to change this behavior?

2 Replies
I'm fairly certain they have actually started updating that. I've been getting an odd different access request message coming in that is for the group and I think they are coming in from shared links on connected Team sites, but I guess it could be Team links they are using. Not sure but i do know the access request is new, and you can approve it inline inside of outlook and it adds to the group.

The approval for Office 365 Groups is working as is but that works via Outlook. Nothing wrong there.

However when request access to a SharePoint site (Classic or Office 365 Group) the permissions get set on the SharePoint site (fair enough). Also here it's logic but what I don't understand is that when you have a default group (in my SC it's the visitors group) I still get an Approval for "Edit" permissions (Not expected). In the approval list on SPO this is set by default to the default group (expected!). It seems the approval is set to modern where "Edit" is a logic choice but Microsoft hasn't implemented the alternative choices.