Advertising in Sharepoint for other products? Grrr........ stop Microsoft......

Steel Contributor

Is this the new norm now?  I have to say that I love 99% of Office 365 and am all-aboard.  However, the continued push of "Get the Mobile app" and now Teams advertising within Document Libraries really does get in the way of otherwise great products.  Most companies want more control over the software that users use and try to integrate some type of business purpose or objective for the tools they deploy.  I'm not even mentioning the nightmare the users creating Teams and Groups all willy nilly could create.  I realize we can change permissions on who can create Groups and Teams, etc, but does that friendly add change as perms do?  And no, I don't want the **bleep** mobile app...………. ever.  And yes, you can turn it off but it has come back...……

TeamsAd2.png

6 Replies
kind of have to agree with you here. I'd much rather things like these and the "feedback" and mobile app links all be configurable. I haven't checked latest powershell etc. to see if there is a setting for it, but latest track record there probably isn't :P. If not, we should IMO.
Totally agree here, could be nice to disable / enable this "notice"...curious to know if it dissapears in an scenario where Groups and Teams creation is configured only for some people
Thanks all - this is the kind of feedback I was looking for, and is why we started rolling to Targeted Release customers first (I'm talking specifically about the 'Add a Team' feature from SharePoint). We are looking at adding ability to control/dismiss the banner.

Oh, and to answer your other question - the logic for showing the banner depends on whether the user has the ability to a) create Teams; b) is a group owner; c) Teams is enabled.   Very similar to the logic if you were in the Teams experience and created a Team and pointed it to an existing group.

The issue here is that there are products/features being highlighted that a certain segment of your customers might not use, might not want to use, or might go against the culture, rules, or business decisions they have made.  For instance, "Get the mobile app" being put up everywhere forces specific uses of Sharepoint and places in Sharepoint to be highlighted in a way that forces companies and administrators to have to change how things are rolled out, stored, etc (and not always in a good way).  OneDrive does this a little bit too by just showing everything.  It's frustrating.

Great!  That's better since it targets a specific audience and makes sure specific permissions and prereqs are in place.  Actually, that's better than many of the others, to be honest!