SOLVED

customize the new library experience

Copper Contributor

Hey,

how I can customize the new library experience?

I want to bring the top navigation back.

Regards

Stefan

12 Replies
best response confirmed by Michael Holste (Microsoft)
Solution
Stefan, top navigation will appear in modern pages, but only if you are using the default team site navigation provider - not the publishing navigation provider, or the managed navigation provider. We are working on a more full customization story for all modern pages, including the capability to build and host your own navigation controls on the page.

@Lincoln DeMaris, really eager to hear about this new navigation controls function.

Is that what we would use to implement some kind of custom enterprise navigation?

Can you please tell us when the modern pages are deployed in the first release tenants?
How can I build a published intranet in the modern pages?
What is when publishing is activated, how we can here the modern library experience?

Lincoln, is there any ETA on managed metadata navigation? 

New self hosted navigation controls. That sounds really interesting. Is there anything you could share? Like, does it support cross site collection navigation?

Hi all,

to avoid another conversation on the related topic: How do we modify the lists and libraries in future with the "modern experience"?

• Is JSLink still supported? I didn't find any "edit page" option anymore.
  • Will Custom Actions be still supported? If so, do you know about plans to disallow them in future?
    • Currently List Menu Custom Actions are working with Modern Experience, but Ribbon Custom Actions do not.
  • Will it be possible to modify the New / Edit Dialog like we did in the past e.g. with JavaScript?

Best regards

Christian

At this point, JSLink is not supported, nor are there ary other customization opportunities. From the blog post that announced the new UI:

""

Hmm. I was going to paste in the text, but when pasting text, the UI just prompts with a modal dialog telling me that to paste I should use ctrl+V. So, here's a link to the original blog post that explains that there are no current customization possibilities, but they are planning to include something at some point:

Blog post

See the second paragraph in the "more to come" section.

One a side note, does anyone know how to paste text in these forums?

I was able to just paste text from the clipboard by using CTRL+V ;)

"We heard your feedback on extensibility and customization in particular, and we’ll have more to share in a future update. We plan to add support for customizing the page using modern techniques. Until then, customized library pages should stay in classic mode."

It's really frustrating to read such vague statements. What are "modern techniques"? Does this mean, that we should still use JSLink, Custom Actions, Custom Workflows and Client-side scripts and they will also work in "Modern Experiences" in the future?

These vague statements hinder us currently to serve our customers with sustainable solutions.

It's really frustrating to read such vague statements. What are "modern techniques"? Does this mean, that we should still use JSLink, Custom Actions, Custom Workflows and Client-side scripts and they will also work in "Modern Experiences" in the future?

That is already a big fat no on Custom Actions (at least non-menu ones).  By the way, it was working perfectly well (i had my customizations working flawlessly in the modern experiences as well as the "old" experiences), then we stupidly started asking questions and they realized they left in the Custom Actions by accident and then took it away :(

This is a good example where "transparency" would greatly benefit the consumer, build trust and excitement, instead of keeping it all under wraps.  Give us some kind of indication of what you are thinking, and make sure that it covers all of the necessary use cases.  In the mean time we are having to put off our management/VP/CIO on why we cant use the pretty new tools because Microsoft no longer supports our customizations that we spend time and dollars on....

Especially when you have well into 2017 to make the changes. As this is what has been communicated before. It gave me a very hard talk with my customers, explaining that a lot of their customizations needs te be reworked next year, but at this moment I cannot start as none of the new stuff is available.

There was another blog post on the office blog two days ago that officially announced that for modern lists, MS is "going to continue to develop rich customization scenarios for modern experiences along with the SharePoint Framework"

So it looks like the "modern" route is the new development model.

The announcement of the SharePoint framework is here:
https://blogs.office.com/2016/05/04/the-sharepoint-framework-an-open-and-connected-platform/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Michael Holste (Microsoft)
Solution
Stefan, top navigation will appear in modern pages, but only if you are using the default team site navigation provider - not the publishing navigation provider, or the managed navigation provider. We are working on a more full customization story for all modern pages, including the capability to build and host your own navigation controls on the page.

View solution in original post