SOLVED

list column view threshold / SharePoint list Edit form

Iron Contributor

Is there a way in PowerApps, similar to flow, to select a SharePoint list view to avoid this message:

The requested operation is invalid. Server Response: The query cannot be completed because the number of lookup columns it contains exceeds the lookup column threshold enforced by the administrator

I've made it all the way through configuring a new list, adding flows and working out the list column view threshold deal there... and on to editing the new/view/edit forms... and now I can't pass go. I hope I'm missing something obvious?

4 Replies
You are limited to 12 Lookup field types. SharePoint has 4 by default (created/by,mod/by columns). There are some basic field types that count as well. Check this article for more information, but seems to be a pretty hard limit. I like using SQL for my Powerapps, less restrictions :P.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/SharePoint-too-many-lookup-columns-cause-quer...

Thanks, @Chris Webb. Trying to find a definitive list of what counts as a lookup column... People/choice/managedMetaData/calculated?

best response confirmed by Ian Bruckner (Iron Contributor)
Solution
1. What classifies as Lookup columns: Standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns , Workflow Status , Created by , Modified by ( people ) are obviously counted as lookup columns .

2. Additionally following columns shows on list view also work as lookup columns , Name ( linked to Document) , Link (Edit to edit item) , Name ( linked to Document with edit menu), type ( icon linked to document)

I think if you limit your powerapp columns it pulls into the data source it might be a way past it, but it might just pull all the raw columns out, so I think number 2. might be irrelevant when it comes to powerapps.

Thanks - I may have reached the end of the possibilities. I've searched high and low to try to find the similar feature as in flow to choose a view to avoid hitting the limit, but I'm coming up blank. Can't select a view and can't use a view in the URL.

flow.png

My hope, is that since this is in flow, it will come to PowerApps for editing SharePoint list forms. Seems like a big miss without it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Ian Bruckner (Iron Contributor)
Solution
1. What classifies as Lookup columns: Standard lookup columns, single-value managed metadata, multiple-value managed metadata, single-value people and group columns, and multiple-value people and group columns , Workflow Status , Created by , Modified by ( people ) are obviously counted as lookup columns .

2. Additionally following columns shows on list view also work as lookup columns , Name ( linked to Document) , Link (Edit to edit item) , Name ( linked to Document with edit menu), type ( icon linked to document)

I think if you limit your powerapp columns it pulls into the data source it might be a way past it, but it might just pull all the raw columns out, so I think number 2. might be irrelevant when it comes to powerapps.

View solution in original post