REQUEST - Be able to Paste images into Notes and Comments field!

Iron Contributor

This is must! Tools like Trello already have this and this actually is stepback for some people wanting to migrate. They see that they can't paste images, they go to Trello.

djheyvoon_0-1590675866940.png

Spoiler
ANOTHER THING! Would be very nice/handy also if we could edit the comments after submit it.

63 Replies
Has anyone seen anything more about this? Status page is unchanged and I've not heard of anyone getting this for testing or in an Insider program. If you see this and care, please also post on that page's feedback button (at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=85688) to alert MS both that this is important to you and to update their timing on the page so it reflects actual status and current timeline.

From my perspective, this feature is so important, it's a prerequisite for moving entirely from Slack and Jira and Confluence to Teams and Planner. If you can't paste screen shots into the comments, you can't use it for UI-oriented software development.
Agreed, March is going to end - any update BigMicrosoft?
COMPLETELY AGREE!! It's really annoying to deal with this EVERY day. We are seriously studying move OUR PLANNERS to TRELLO!
Carlo, at least now they've changed it to show General Availability in March. Last month it said GA in February, so at least they've touched it. Maybe it really is getting close...

@Colin - Always good to see there are still optimists. It is now April 4, and status is still in dev/test. GA is not changed though. So we ought to be able to see untested features in Teams. :) Such an important feature... so low a priority. 

Number of items (total since 2020) in Roadmap: 14. This for ToDo and Planner.

So better stick to Jira and Trello. More dev-power there.

No actual date updated.... It seems to be we should not wait any longer and move to other competitor products.....
Target now Sept22. Definitely not a priority for Microsoft. I will solve my problems with competitor tools....
It's a pity. Promised some clients this would be a feature and for them it was a requirement. Really disappointed for this will reflect on me just for being a Teams enthousiast. No promises no more :(

Yeah, this is so frustrating. For those of us who want to use Teams as a way to manage projects for our team, that means using Planner for the task portion, but w/o this feature, it's not really usable.

Having said that, I get that this is probably a very difficult change to make. The description and comment fields are just plain text. That's a very different data model from being able to store complex data, which is effectively the text, plus attachments, plus a whole bunch of metadata to indicate how to display it. If not built this way in the first place, it's probably quite challenging to change. And, if you think of Planner's origins, I bet they were thinking more about notes on tasks in something like MS Project -- a fantastic project management tool -- that also does not support this and probably couldn't without an entire rewrite. The difference is that MS Project is not really intended as a communication tool, except for status/date updates. In contrast, many of us want to use the comments in Planner like an ongoing chat on the task, like people have used Trello, Jira, Asana, etc. for years. MS completely dropped the ball by not recognizing that was the proper comparison, not MS Project.

Still, glad that the date for this feature landing got updated. Sep of this year, while depressing, is at least believable. Maybe that does indicate they're working on it and are just having trouble, so needed to push out the delivery date to something more realistic.

Still showing as September of 2022 (as of today at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=85688). Will we really see this in another month? I'm skeptical but hopeful. If you want this, try to hitting the Feedback button on that page and submitting your desire for this feature and more updates on where it stands.

I also just found this additional page that explains how they're making this kind of a change: https://pupuweb.com/mc295027-rich-text-images-planner-task-notes/. Looks like they're adding an additional rich media field and keeping it in sync with text in the existing plain text field. That's probably the right way to do that and preserve backward compatibility, but also illustrates the complexity of this change.

@Colin - I cannot wait anymore the MS team. I am working with the my colleagues of IT team to tune an internal ticketing system for our engineering use.

@joeadkins33   Agree, attachment feature is a requirement for us, but adding another feature to capture images is great.  Not just instead of...but in addition to...

Still showing release in Sep 2022, even now that we are in Sep 2022. I sent MS a note asking if this is still correct and this feature is really coming this month. My guess: it's not. I'd love to be wrong.

@djheyvoon we are still waiting to see this happen - my other client uses Trello purely because of the inline image/screen shot paste functionality - Cmon Microsoft!!!

Was waiting as the rest here for the good news, but unfortunately if anything comes at all will be without pasting images - very disappointing... Here quote: "Support for images in the notes field will not be included with this feature release..."

@iavoo 

has anyone got contact with Microsoft re this, it would be nice to be able to plan use of this inconjuction with the data verse and a digital implementation, I'm trying to get people to use Microsoft 365 but struggle with its works but... situations.
not being able to paste a photo, seems like a simple feature. could we link the photo in the comments to a persons OneDrive storage at the least? if its a data overhead problem?
it ppears we have been asking for this feature for a couple of years now :o :)

kind regards

Wayne

They have updated to a rollout beginning in December and finishing in December 2022, without images at first (just rich text):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=85688

https://pupuweb.com/mc295027-rich-text-images-planner-task-notes/

As explained at the second link, this is because they need to build a new API's that is backwards compatible with any existing programs that work with Planner and treat the fields as plain text.  They will achieve this by syncing the plain text and rich text as two different fields. It's not clear what's needed to add image support (the only part I care about), but I suspect that's at least partly due to needing the mobile versions of the apps add support so that users don't inadvertently delete embedded images while editing a description (not possible to edit a comment, so not sure what the issue is there). 

Meh.

1. This won't happen in December

2. They are focussing on the wrong thing - I don't want to make my text pretty, I just want to put screen snippets in rather than having to store them manually in SP and reference them.

Meanwhile we get pretty new emojis in chat - go Microsoft! 

@AndyRHa Absolutelly agree!!!  

GOOOO MICROSOFT!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

@AndyRHa, you were right, still not live and now we're halfway through January. Page has been updated to show a January release (and I don't think either of us will be surprised if they miss this new date once again). 

Also, I agree with you on what matters: ultimately, all I care about is the ability to paste screen shots into my task description and comments. I don't care at all about rich text. However, from a development perspective, I understand why they have to modify the underlying data structures first, which means they/we get Rich Text as a byproduct of the work needed to embed images into the comments. So while it's an unimportant feature on its own, it's a stepping stone needed by the development and will be a good indicator they're actually getting somewhere.