How to add custom fields to a task in Planner or To Do list?

Brass Contributor

I am wanting to replace a excel P&A list that my team uses with the "Tasks by Planner and To Do".  However, we need some custom fields added.  I have searched but can not find out how to add custom fields. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks, 

Bill

15 Replies
Hi,
Planner and ToDo does not support at this moment adding custom fields

@jcgonzalezmartin  Thanks!.  This would be a great feature to have Microsoft 😉

Regards,

Bill

@jcgonzalezmartin 

This is a significant weakness to the Tasks by Planner and To Do app.  While we have "due date" and "priority" these alone are not powerful enough to really be useful.  Recommend something more like Outlook Tasks 

@Bill_King You can use SharePoint Lists instead they offer all the flexibility you need. 

Yes, Sharepoint may work. But doesn't that defeat the purpose of everything being in one place? I woul dhave to go to sharepoint, create the task and then update it in teams. @udob99 

@pamski not so sure what you mean. Sharepoint lists plug into MS teams as nicely as MS planner...so no need to open up a web browser and navigate to Sharepoint and come back to ms teams...you can do everything from MS teams if you like...

OK, I guess it was user error on my part in that I did not see how to get to sharepoint directly from Teams LIsts. However, the automate functions are not "live" for me (Guessing that is r/t some limitation from my employer) and there is not a way to make something on the list recur. In addition, while I am reasonably comfortable working in Teams, Sharepoint is not my forte, and I really want to learn yet another platform. (We are all not computer gurus). Tasks works to make something recur and automate reminders but lacks customization of fields. @udob99 

@pamski if you add a tab to your channel in Teams, instead of adding Tasks, you can add Lists. There is a template in there for a task list. MS Lists are really just SharePoint lists and are stored in the SharePoint site behind your team. You can configure it right there in Teams or, like almost anything you add a tab for, you can select the drop down arrow and Go to app or Go to website and you will see the list in all its glory in the SharePoint site behind your team. From there you have many options including the view you wish to look at. However, it will not give you the kanban board view. I think that may come in the future, but it doesn't exist now.

Here is an easy tutorial on how to create a list.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/create-a-list-0d397414-d95f-41eb-addd-5e6eff41b083
@pamski @karen_dredske fyi - sharepoint list do support a kanban view
@udob99 & @karen_dredske - haven't got a point. If there is a Planner used, as the name suggests, for planning the tasks 😉 you suggest to use Sharepoint Lists to create another planner instead, to bypass lack of original Planner functionality, just because Microsoft can't do it?

@PHO007 not sure what your post contributes here to help people. If you think Planner is lacking functionality I suggest that you communicate with Microsoft. I was suggesting an immediate work around for @Bill_King as Planner does not provide the functionality at this stage.  :smile:

Please Microsoft, add this feature it is a major flaw in that you can't adjust information for tasks making it easier to navigate and adapt to the needs of your organisation/team/project. All other task management tools provide this feature, Asana, Wrike, Monday.com and so on. Please please please prioritise and develop this feature.
I agree that Lists is the way to go, it does lack some functionality like other task managers but is highly customizable (and one less subscription).
I don't think that MS will deploy many updates to Planner as they have MS Projects for what you intend. You can always upgrade your plan mate.
Where is the right place to feature request this?

@Bill_King 

For anyone reading this and frustrated with the lack of prioritization for this feature, please take note of the links below to (hopefully) get Microsoft's attention:

1) This is the link to the Microsoft 365 Roadmap, which shows the features that MS has prioritized for development (the feature to add a custom field is not currently on the roadmap).

Link: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=planner#owRoadmapMainCont...

2) Submit feedback to Microsoft so that they prioritize this feature asap, by using this form to submit feedback:

Link: https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/forum/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472