Using Outlook with Gmail When Infosec May Block Outlook

Copper Contributor

TL;DR: If security protocols are implemented that block non-gmail clients from accessing our university gmail accounts, is there a way to create an exception for those who wish to continue using the Windows desktop version of the Microsoft Outlook application to connect to gmail with IMAP on their university desktop machines?

Hello Everyone: It was recommended by a moderator over at the Microsoft community that I post this here.  I work for a university that uses gmail as our university email.  The school is implementing “data loss prevention” protocols that will block the use of any non-gmail mobile apps or mail clients when accessing our university email accounts.  In other words, staff will have to use the gmail app on our phones and web mail on our Windows computers.  The primary purpose of this change, I've been told, is to enable the university to wipe data in the event that a device is lost.

While most of us can manage using the gmail app on our phones rather than, say, the native IOS email app, the protocols will also block our use of Microsoft Outlook on our university desktop computers (as an installed application).  That is going to cause many of us a ton of problems – some dealing with the much more powerful formatting options available in Outlook, some dealing with folder vs. label organization, and actually some health issues because gmail generally involves more mouse use than Outlook, resulting in aggravation of carpel tunnel syndrome.  Please assume these difficulties will be serious for purposes of my inquiry – in other words, assume the gmail interface will not be an adequate substitute for Outlook given the problems I have identified.

The only solution offered by our IT department so far (I've discussed this issue with them extensively multiple times, though they are still researching it), is to turn on auto-forward to send the email to a non-university account which can still be accessed through the Outlook application.  That is only a partial solution since we will still have to send many university emails using gmail.  Moreover, there is a good chance the auto-forwarding option is going is going to be shut off next year, making this no solution at all.

What I am hoping is technically possible – though I recognize it might not be – is a way to create exceptions that will permit selected users, devices, or mail clients to still access their university gmail accounts via Outlook.  For example, I have administrator access on my school machine, unlike most of our university employees, because I filled out a request form demonstrating substantial need and was awarded administrator privileges. 

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have on a solution that would enable the university to implement the data loss prevention but still allow faculty and other staff to use Outlook on university machines that are located on university property.  Our IT department has been coming up empty in their research, so I figured I would assist with the researching process.  Thanks.

Josh

3 Replies

Hi @JoshSilverstein 

Of course, this is not the answer to your question, but if you do not find a solution, check out this simple application that provides security and synchronizes very well with Gmail.

Please write what you think? 

Mail and Calendar - Microsoft Store Apps

Aside from the fact that you want to read your emails in Outlook, this is not an Outlook level question.

The solution needs to be performed at the back-end and that completely depends on the capabilities that Gmail has to offer to university customers. That expertise is better to be found in a forum which discusses the Gmail services which your university uses.

That said, several solutions/workarounds that you mention don't really add up. When you'd allow forwarding the emails to another email service, then you'd also lose the ability to remotely wipe the data as it would be outside of the Gmail boundaries. Also note that DLP is something completely different than the ability to remotely wipe a device. DLP is more about preventing sending out sensitive data to certain destinations. Allowing forwarding to another email service would be a violation of that as well and DLP is probably going to block a lot of those emails.

As for creating connectivity exceptions for certain people/mailboxes, that again depends on the Gmail service or method that you are applying to create this restriction and not Outlook.

If the university were to use Microsoft 365 with Exchange Online as their email platform instead of Gmail, then this would all be easily possible with Conditional Access ;)

@Robert Sparnaaij, thanks so much for your detailed message.  I agree that it doesn't make sense to allow forwarding but block an email client as a general matter.  But the forwarding would stop emails with sensitive student information, so there is at least some logic to it.  In any event, as I noted, they are likely going to shut off auto-forwarding next year anyway.  Also, I appreciate the point that this is more of a gmail issue than an Outlook issue.  I will pursue this matter with Google from here on out.  Thanks again.