Outlook Rules: Subject Contains Option to Move Folder, but NOT Move RE: of the Same Subject

Copper Contributor

I'm looking for an idea on how to better manage a shared inbox. We have a form that is submitted (frequently) to a general email. It shows as both sender and receiver in the inbox. The subject line is always the same: Thanks for submitting the XXX form! Our standard procedure to handle those forms is to reply directly from the shared inbox and add new recipients. All team members then reply to keep the conversation within the shared space.

I would like to identify a rule that moves the initial form into a special folder labeled new form submissions. However, when users reply I would like that thread of messages to stay in the inbox so those conversations can be sorted appropriately. But I would always want the initial form to stay in the folder new submissions folder. How can I do this?

4 Replies

Try to create a Power Automate flow and use it instead of rules.

Hi @HAdams996 

I am an independent advisor replying to Outlook questions.

It was not clear if the new submissions were from external users only.  If this is the case, use the Copy To folder as you indicated. Use the Exception feature, except from @yourdomain.com, or you may have to enter the team members' email addresses.

This way, you are copying the original message to the folder. If your team starts a thread, these emails are not copied to the designated folder. Try it and let me know how it goes.

If you find this information helpful, please mark it as the best answer or like it, which will assist others.

Have a great day.

/Teresa

#traccreations4e

Hi @Teresa_Cyrus. When the online form is completed, it is emailed to our shared inbox and is always submitted with the same domain address. Our office uses that as a trigger to start drafting a request. Our team forwards the original email form (not changing the subject) to other internal departments directly to collaborate with the work. I would like to have a rule for these. It is a very large company, though, and team members often deal with 100+ different internal users to process the form. 

@HAdams996 

This workflow is great for power automate but again, I am not familiar with the application.

Rules workaround.

In order to send it to the appropriate department the subject line should include department. Several rules will need to be created.

Criteria: Subject line: Text - Finance AND To: email address removed for privacy reasons

Action 1: Copy to your team folder (This way you will always have the original email.)

Action 2: Send to email address removed for privacy reasons

You can create a rule for each subject line with the proper department. 

Again, your request is great for Power Automate based on the volume and complexity. You may have to pay someone to develop an automated flow.

/Teresa