Outlook hacked

Copper Contributor

Hi, my Outlook was hacked and received blackmail emails demanding bitcoin.

I changed my password, enabled 2FA and use MS Authenticator app. Also did a factory reset.

How can I protect myself, as my activity shows hundreds of unsuccessful sign ins daily, as the hacker is trying to breach my password again. Don't receive any alerts warning me though.

Hacker claims a trojan virus is on my phone which is invisible to antivirus software. No idea whether this is complete nonsense. Need some advice and guidance. I went to the Police but they were not bothered saying they get dozens of incidents daily. 

3 Replies
Here are a few tips
1. Clear Cache and Cookies from your laptop/pc.
2. Reset your Password.
3. Change your Secondary/Recovery email account credentials too.

Try these. May be you had downloaded some files that contain malware or suspicious files.

Hello @bantams,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your Outlook account.
It sounds like you've already taken some crucial steps by changing your password, enabling two-factor authentication (2FA), and using the Microsoft Authenticator app.

Here are additional measures to enhance your account security:

1. Regularly Monitor Account Activity: Keep an eye on your account's recent activity. Report any unfamiliar sign-ins immediately.

2. Update Security Information: Ensure your security information is current. Add an alternate email address and mobile phone number for recovery options.

3. Check Account Settings: Review your account settings to ensure the hacker hasn't altered anything, such as email forwarding settings.

Remember, maintaining strong, unique passwords for all your accounts and being cautious of suspicious communications are vital for online safety.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

@LeonPavesic 

Hi Leon,

Many thanks for your response. I can see hundreds of attempts every day to hack into my email again using a VPN, as locations are from multiple countries. Don't understand why Outlook has not alerted me to these attempts. 

I am genuinely concerned that my email is hacked again and my bank account is breached.