Outlook failing to run on on Samsung Galaxy A13

Steel Contributor

We are currently trying to set up the first phones out of a new batch of Samsung Galaxy A13 - these are the first of this model which we have tried to deploy.

We use Intune and several apps are installed by this as part of the deployment, including Outlook. We have found that Outlook will not work - it opens, then two or three seconds later it closes again. The following has been tried:

1) Making sure that the phones are fully patched (Android, 12 build number is SP1A.210812.016.A137FXXS1AVJ1)

3) Trying a different A13

3) Setting up the phone manually (i.e. without Intune) and installing Outlook manually

None of the above made any difference. We have also tested a different recent model, the A03s, also on Android 12 (build number SP1A.210812.016.A035GXXS2BVJ2 - i.e  the same version as on the A13). Works fine on that, so appears to be a model-specific issue.

Anyone have any suggestions? We can't think what else to try - it looks very much like some compatibility issue between the A13 and Outlook.

Thanks

115 Replies
Hello, same issue with SM-T585 and SM-T515...
We did the same workaround with the webapp.

We are also facing the issue with Samsung A10 device with the same symptom.

Android 11 with system up to date.

Outlook 4.2244.1

I don't have any suggestions, but I am dealing with the same issue on my A13. Since the update to 4.2244.1 the app crashes in a couple of seconds. Hopefully microsoft comes with an update as soon as possible.

Marc
Has anyone got anything back from Microsoft? The Exchange support people eventually agreed to submit my case to the Outlook lot several days ago - heard nothing at all since.

@DavidYorkshire This seems to be affecting the A13's and any phone with the same chipset particularly. We have used the A12's for years and recently started with the A13 and battling the same issues but here is what I have found.

Outlook Lite works but if you have on-Prem exchange or need shared mailboxes it is a no-go.

MDM has nothing to do with the issue(broken with or without)

Microsoft doesn't seem to care(sure we all feel this one)

I have been through all the App protection angles, compliance and everything in between but I think comes down to an incompatibility at a software level for this chipset.

My 2 pence worth anyway

Alan

My customer encountered the same error
The problem comes from an incompatibility between Samsung Galaxy A13 and Outlook mobile version 4.2240.1
The workaround solution wich works (tested) :
installation of Outlook mobile Lite from Microsoft , in waiting for an Outlook update
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.outlooklite
I have logged a ticket and heard nothing back at all. It's a joke.
Shocking from MS. Waiting on a response from the in App support on a working device. Have provided the debug report from an A13 with the issue, so will see what they come back with but not hopeful at all.

Currently using the Galaxy Store version of Outlook for now but not ideal.

I've had the below back from MS Outlook app support...

Hello John! Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we forwarded the case to our Engineers and is currently being worked on. A fix will be deployed with one of the future app updates, unfortunately we won't be able to provide you with an ETA for it. I'm very sorry for any inconveniences this may be causing you in the meantime. Let me know please if there should be anything else I can do for you at the moment.

I just got the same back, they know about and are working on a fix but no ETA.

You can't tell me they don't know exactly what has been changed from version to version. They should be able to find it straight away.
Do we have update on this how to resolve the issue?
- Outlook app is version 4.2244.1
- verified that permission for app is enabled
- reinstalled the app
- cleared Microsoft Outlook app cache and data
- restarted the mobile phone but same issue
- Outlook app closes after 2 seconds when opening

Any suggestion how to resolve the issue?
My Google play store doesn't open for downloading the kizala, please help, thanks.

@ajd0001 

I believe the only workarounds at the moment are sideloading an older version of the APK via your MDM or uninstalling Outlook and downloading the version from the Samsung Galaxy Store as this an older one.

There is one other work around which is turn off wifi and mobile data. The app then opens, then turn the connections back on and then it works and syncs until you close the app. Not great but its a workaround using the bugged version. Microsoft are dragging their heels on this and do not appreciate the headache this is causing businesses with many of these devices who need this app when out on the road.
I have opened Outlook app. It has remained open (it's on the screen asking me to Add Account).
after adding account and turning on the wifi same issue happens app closes
will try this workaround
There seems to be a new version of Outlook V4.2245.1. Our MDM hasn't received this update just yet so unable to test. Anyone else able to test this?
Just updated and it is now working for me. Manged to set my account up with no crashes.