Can't see sender email address (Outlook web)

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I've noticed recently that I am not able to see the sender email address for some emails. Why? How can I fix this?

Example:

no sender email.png

If I place the mouse on the sender I see my own email address:

myself.png

I don't have this problem with most of my emails:

sender.png

sender email.png

When I check the source of the TV Licensing email what I see is:

Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 03:05:34 -0700

Subject: Your TV Licence expires today

Message-ID:

<DB8PR02MB58514A4F8FBCF5689D1322CFDCBC0@DB8PR02MB5851.eurprd02.prod.outlook.com>

From: TV Licensing <myemailaddress@hotmail.es> , <sirajul_islam1987@hotmail.co.uk>

To: myemailaddress@hotmail.es

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 09/04/2021:

---------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I have bad news. Scammers are taking advantage of this bug. Yesterday I got two new emails (indeed both emails were exactly the same) trying to scam me.

The procedure is similar to the TV Licensing email. This time, when I place the mouse over the email, I don't see the sender email address:

xerez1947_2-1617976581985.png

If I place the mouse over a legitimate email, I can see the sender email address:

xerez1947_3-1617976647088.png

This behaviour is different from the TV Licensing email. In the TV Licensing email I see my own email address as sender email address, while in these two new emails no email address is shown.

Moreover, if I check the message source of any of those two scamm emails, what I see is the following:

Sender: BitcoinSystem <noreply@pccomponentes.com>

To: xxxxxx@hotmail.es<xxxxxx@hotmail.es>

Subject: xxxxxx ¡Tiene un pago agregado a su cuenta! Necesitamos una Confirmación

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 16:57:19 -0400

I have replaced the first part of my email address by "xxxxxx".

Anyway, as you can see the field "Sender" tells me that the sender email address is "noreply@pccomponentes.com", however, the "From" field tells me the real sender email address which is "enzo@newsletter.spartoo.com".

Finally, I have on my phone (Android) the Outlook app installed. When I check this scam email on my phone, the thing is even worse, because the app shows "noreply@pccomponentes.com" as sender email. This email address is a legitimate email from the website https://www.pccomponentes.com/. Therefore, some non-advanced users could easily fall into this scam thinking PC Componentes is really sending them an email...

xerez1947_5-1617977322703.png

Everything this is slightly different from the TV Licensing email, but the final result is pretty much the same. Hence, scammers are taking advantage of this bug and even finding more sophisticated ways to scam people.

Thankfully, I am an experienced user, but I am pretty sure that many users will be scammed.

It's been almost one year since I post this message and nobody has fixed this bug. Apparently, Microsoft doesn't care about their users security. Maybe is time to switch to another email provider...

22 Replies

I have the same problem, I cant block this sender as i can't see the sender's address. I think it's a bug for  outlook. Many users have this problem, please fix it.@A1 

I have the same bug. It's outrageous that it's not possible to just show the real email of the senders. Do you have thought of all the peoples scammed like this ? It's simple, we want the name only four our contact. If the mail is not from our contact, just display the address. It's not thinkable that you don't fix it in more than 2 years.
if you click reply you'll see the email in the To: field