CALENDAR - appointment will NOT delete no matter what I do! HELP!

Copper Contributor

HI!  

I am a Microsoft 365 user and have an issue with the calendar regarding a recurring appointment that is no longer relevant that I have tried to delete but it will not go away!  I have tried so many different strategies that I have found online and nothing has helped.  I put in a support ticket to Microsoft 365 a MONTH ago and I get a lot of emails apologizing about the delay, but nothing besides that (!!).  SO, I come to you, forum...  

Some background- 

I have admin permissions for all Microsoft 365 accounts here.

The calendar actually belongs to another user but I was invited to the calendar an given the fullest permission available to edit the calendar, etc.  

The appointment was entered into the calendar while I was logged in to my user account; it is set as recurring indefinitely.  It needs to be removed, but will not go away...  Any attempts to remove it result in it disappearing for a few seconds and returning. 

I have tried deleting when logged un under my account, the admin account, and the user's account - no success.

I have tried to change the parameters of the appointment- changing the time to like 11 pm or changing the date to like Saturday so that at least it does not interfere with the days/hours on the calendar  use...  changing the end date of the recurrence...  removing the recurrence...  etc. - all from being logged in to the different accounts above-- still no success.

I have tried all of the above via the online website version or Microsoft 365/Outlook as well as via the desktop version I have downloaded.  

I have tried to 'repair' Outlook. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Outlook.  I followed some steps I saw online that I don't recall by going into different parts of settings in Outlook.

NOTHING will get rid of this appointment.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

1 Reply

Hi @fsuadrienne,

thanks for your detailed explanation.

1. Try to delete the appointment in Outlook Safe Mode

- Right-click the Start button, and click Run.

- Type Outlook.exe /safe, and click OK.

Tip: If Windows can't find Outlook.exe /safe, try using the full path to Outlook (for example C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX, where XX is your version number).

Open Outlook in safe mode - Microsoft Support

2. Delete the appointment from the server using Outlook Web Access (OWA).
    Delete an appointment or a meeting - Microsoft Support

• To do this, log in to OWA and open the calendar.
    • Right-click the appointment and select Delete.
    • If you can delete the appointment from OWA, but not from Outlook, then the problem is likely caused by a corrupted Outlook data file. To repair your Outlook data file you can use this link: Repair Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost) - Microsoft Support

If you are still having trouble deleting the appointment, you can use the MFCMAPI tool.

MFCMAPI is a powerful tool that can be used to manage Exchange mailboxes, including deleting appointments. However, it is important to note that MFCMAPI is a complex tool, and it should be used with caution. It is important to make sure that you have a backup of your mailbox before using MFCMAPI.

To use MFCMAPI to delete a recurring appointment, follow these steps:

1. Download and install MFCMAPI from Microsoft: Install the samples used in this section | Microsoft Learn
  2. Open MFCMAPI and log in to your Exchange mailbox.
  3. Expand the Root Container node and then expand the Calendar node.
  4. Right-click the recurring appointment that you want to delete and select Delete.
  5. In the Delete Item dialog box, select the Delete the entire series option and then click OK.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)