"Free up space" not working MacOS

Copper Contributor

I am running OneDrive on a Mac (Catalina 10.15.3).

I have some large files that I have chosen to "Free up Space". In the Finder they have the cloud icon next to the file name indicating that they are stored in the cloud and not on my harddrive. However when I look at the storage usage for my mac those files still appear in the Mac System tool and appear to be taking up space.

How do I resolve this?

As per the screen shot below...those four files beginning with "All Mail" have all been selected to Free up Space but still appear here.

23 Replies
if it is a business account, why do you not open a ticket?
I noticed that it moves the files into trash (even though the files also still exist on onedrive). After emptying trash, all the space became available.

Even though that onedrive folder was set to 'free up space' my mac was warning me that I was running out of disk space. Unchecking the folder like @TKruger mentioned fixed the problem but only after I emptied my trash.

I've decided to put all large files I don't need to access often in a single folder that is now not visible to my macbook.

I have just come across this thread after the 2nd time this has happened to my computer.

So it fills me with a lot of concern! 

The last time I fixed this I had to reboot and install OSX. Not a fun process. 

DROPBOX NEVER HAD THIS ISSUE!!!!! (Bringing Microsoft's attention to this as I'm hoping they can fix this issue asap!!)

Hmmmmm.... 

@TKruger