SOLVED

OneDrive showing incorrect user

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

When I edit a shared document through OneDrive (or Teams or Sharepoint) through the web, it correctly shows those edits as being attributable to me. However, if I open that document on my local machine, the edits are being attributed to another user.

I am collaborating as an invited guest (invited through Azure AD) using B2B collaboration (I think).

I am by no means an experienced or advanced 365 / Azure / Sharepoint administrator.

A more detailed background (I hope is not too confusing):

1. My local machine is a Mac.
  2. I have a 365 Business Std subscription for my own organisation (Org A) and I'm the global admin (Org A Admin).
  3. I work with a different business (Org B). As I'm the most knowledgable person at Org B when it comes to MS365, I help them manage their own 365 subscriptions (a combination of 365 Bus Std and Exchange Online P1). I have access to the global admin account for Org B (Org B Admin).
  4. I have recently begun to introduce Org B to Teams so that we can collaborate on certain projects using Teams and Sharepoint.
  5. To do this, as Org B Admin, I created a Team under Org B (call it Team B).
  6. I then invited Org A Admin to Team B as this is my day-to-day work account. I sent this invite from within Team B while logged in as Org B Admin.
  7. For a while, I collaborated this way successfully as Org A Admin.
  8. I then decided to 'upgrade the collaboration' by setting up B2B collaboration between Org A and Org B. I made the necessary changes to the incoming/outgoing collaboration settings for both organisations.
  9. I deleted my existing external user at Org B and reinvited myself as a guest through Azure AD at Org B (tyrone@OrgA)
  10. I collaborated this way for a while using Teams. I edited documents through Teams - sometimes through the Teams interface but also by synchronising files to my local machine using OneDrive. Any edits I made were always shown as originating from my Org A account, i.e. tyrone@OrgA.
  11. I was able to move between Org A and Org B in Teams without any problems.
  12. When I opened Teams on my local machine, I could move between Org A and Org B in the top right of the app. Two instances of OneDrive opened when I logged in to my machine - one synchronised Org A files and the other synchronised Org B files.
  13. From yesterday, when I edit a document in Team B on my local machine, the edits I make show as being done by Org B Admin and not tyrone@OrgA. However, when I make edits through the Teams interface, these edits are correctly shown as being made by tyrone@OrgA.

It appears as though my guest account at Team B (tyrone@OrgA) is being confused with Org B Admin.

I've tried everything I can think of to fix this:

• I logged out of all my local Office applications (including OneDrive and Teams)
  • I deleted and reinstalled all the Office applications (including OneDrive and Teams)
  • I deleted all local caches, plist files, etc.
  • I deleted my guest account at Org B and ensured that my user account was also deleted from Team B.
  • I logged back into to local Office apps, Teams and OneDrive using my Org A credentials and all is working fine.
  • I invited myself back to Org B using the Azure AD interface as a guest.
  • I added myself back to Team B (using the Teams admin interface under Org B).
  • I then navigated to Team B through my local machine (where I'm logged in to the Office apps as Org A Admin), edited the file locally, and again my edits were attributed to Team B Admin. Same thing happened if navigating to the Team through the Teams online interface.

Any help to fix this would be appreciated.

Thank you. :folded_hands: 

4 Replies

@tyniland 

It sounds like there might be some confusion between your guest account (tyrone@OrgA) and the Org B Admin account when accessing the Team B files on your local machine. Here are a few things you could try to resolve this issue:

1. Check the account you're signed in with: Make sure you're signed in to your local Office apps and OneDrive using your guest account (tyrone@OrgA), and not the Org B Admin account.

2. Check the account used for syncing: Ensure that the OneDrive sync client on your local machine is syncing the correct files and folders associated with your guest account (tyrone@OrgA) and not the Org B Admin account. You can check this by going to the OneDrive settings on your local machine and selecting the Account tab.

3. Check the file ownership: Verify that the files you're editing on your local machine are owned by your guest account (tyrone@OrgA) and not the Org B Admin account. You can check the file ownership by navigating to the file in question on the Teams or SharePoint site and checking the "Modified by" and "Created by" fields.

4. Try accessing the files on a different machine: If the issue persists, try accessing the files on a different machine to see if the problem is specific to your local machine.

5. Contact Microsoft support: If none of the above steps resolves the issue, you may need to contact Microsoft support for further assistance. 

@NikolinoDE

Thanks so much for your response. I eventually became so frustrated that I logged into Org B's Azure AD admin portal and deleted the Org B Admin user. I also deleted all Microsoft apps from my Mac, and manually removed all the residual files left behind by them.

I then reinstalled everything and the issue appeared to be resolved.

After your response, I did a little more research and found that if you navigate into the OneDrive application package, you'll find two executables -

RemoveOneDriveCreds.command
ResetOneDriveApp.command

I ran these today and they appear to take OneDrive back to 'factory settings', and remove all links to 365 credentials. I think this would have been the solution in the first place.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. :D
I am glad that you came to a solution.
I wish you continued success!
best response confirmed by tyniland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@NikolinoDE 

So my fix didn't work after all. However, I found self-diagnostic tools for SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams that seem to have fixed the problem.

SharePoint & OneDrive: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/diagnostics/sharepoint-and-onedrive-diagno...

Teams: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/admin-self-help-d...

I hope they help someone else in the future. :lol:

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tyniland (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@NikolinoDE 

So my fix didn't work after all. However, I found self-diagnostic tools for SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams that seem to have fixed the problem.

SharePoint & OneDrive: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/diagnostics/sharepoint-and-onedrive-diagno...

Teams: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/troubleshoot/teams-administration/admin-self-help-d...

I hope they help someone else in the future. :lol:

View solution in original post