OneDrive for Business (Plan 2) Limits

Copper Contributor

I'm part of a workplace that currently uses Google Workspace for Enterprise but we're looking to switch to Microsoft OneDrive right now and I have a few questions. First of all I want to say that the only thing we care about is cloud storage. We work in video and therefore need the unlimited storage that OneDrive for Business (Plan 2) is supposed to give. We don't need any of the Office365 stuff and other apps and services that can be added on.

This link tells me that Plan 2 for Business gives us unlimited storage for $10/user/month. Of course the conditions say:
Unlimited individual cloud storage for qualifying plans for subscriptions of five or more users, otherwise 1 TB/user. Microsoft will initially provide 1 TB/user of OneDrive for Business storage, which admins can increase to 5 TB/user. Request additional storage by contacting Microsoft support. Storage up to 25 TB/user is provisioned in OneDrive for Business. Beyond 25 TB, storage is provisioned as 25 TB SharePoint team sites to individual users.

I intend to add 5-10 users to the organization so I definitely qualify. So, let's say I first increase the limit to 5TB/user to get 25TB total, do I need to wait till I hit 25TB to ask for more? When the conditions say "Beyond 25 TB, storage is provisioned as 25 TB SharePoint team sites to individual users", I have to ask Microsoft for it. I'm wondering what kind of process this is. Do I have to explain exactly what I'm using it for. Is it a lengthy process, or is it just a simple email and they give me a new Sharepoint.

Now about SharePoints, I'm not sure how they work, but from what I understand they're limited to 25TB/sharepoint. But when they say it is "provisioned as 25 TB SharePoint team sites to individual users", can multiple sharepoints be provisioned to the same user. $10/user would be $100/month for 10 users. So essentially I could add 250TB in SharePoints. But can I add more SharePoints on top of that to the same users, cus we're way over that on Google already. Or would I have to add more users for each new SharePoint.

Next, does it make any difference if I get SharePoint Plan 2 instead of ODfB Plan 2.

Also, this link says that the total storage per organization is 1TB plus 10gb/license. What is this talking about and is it related to ODfB.

Lastly, how hard would it be for me to move my stored files from Google Drive to OneDrive. Right now, it's sitting at over 500TB. Would we have to hire some other service or is there something we can use provided my Microsoft for this kind of process. 

6 Replies
Hi. Did you ever subscribe and get answers to these questions?
You have to wait until you reach or exceed 25TB. Then, contact 365 support and they will up the storage.

@RickkeeC sorry to revive this old post but how do the share points added work? Is it pretty seamless or more link a linked share point in your one drive? How long did it take them to add it to your one drive?

Hi, I want to share with you something that support send to me just today:
+ We can increase our storage from 5TB to 25 TB with only one OneDrive Plan 2 license assigned, we would not need 5 licenses in our case.
+ But in case of increasing the storage matrix from 25TB to 50TB by creating a Teams SharePoint site we would need 5 licenses, for now we do not have a public facing article for the same yet.
+ We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a by design structure and working for the product set by our product design team.
(written by the support team)
So, this is the fact: you can have 25TB with only one OneDrive Plan 2, but you need at least 5 users with the same license to have the 25TB per user...
And there is no public article about it. So I decide to post their answer in this blog.

Ciao

Paolo

@PaoloM__CEAS 

Went through this with Microsoft support 3 months ago where a client of ours wanted to increase their OneDrive storage above 1TB even though they only have one user account on the tenant.

We did the following:

* Add 4 additional Business Basic licenses

* Add OneDrive Plan 2 - once this was added, then we were able to increase the default OneDrive size to 5TB and increase the space allocated to the main user.

* Cancelled the Business Basic licenses.

I was assured by MS support that this tenant would retain the 5TB default size and this appeared to be the case for a while.

However, just received a call from our client a few days ago that they were again getting warning messages that they were almost at the max space allocated e.g. 1TB.

The default OneDrive storage space has also reverted to 1TB in Sharepoint Admin.

It now looks as if our client will need to purchase the additional 4 licenses as well as keeping the OneDrive Plan 2 to be able to get the additional storage space that he wants.

Hope this helps

Des

OneDrive for business (Plan 1)

Is this plan able to upgrade to 25tb? if so how much does it costs for the upgrade?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.