Can't empty recycle bin in onedrive

Copper Contributor

I recently have started having OneDrive storage space issues.  I have spent hours scouring message boards but none of them apply to my problem.  

The problem is that I have tried emptying the recycle bin using "advice" from other posts but there is NO button in my onedrive that says "empty recycle bin", only "restore".  it says i am over my limit by 195%

i know i'm not always the brightest star in the sky but unless i am a complete idiot, there is something wrong.

please help, this is very frustrating

update:

I was finally able to find an "empty recycle button" but it was only available in the section where it said my account had been frozen due to lack of space.  I clicked on it and it has been "retrieving the files" for 10 minutes now.  something is not right.

6 Replies
So did it finally empty? Im stuck with the same problem

@UnPfhorgivenI also am stuck with it saying retrieving files. I am not over limit. I am currently a target of multi-pronged effort to gain access to my accounts and data and a SIM-swap will probably be next for me. It is troubling I cannot delete OneDrive files and they will likely be compromised.

@UnPfhorgiven I have found the button. When you are in OneDrive, where your recyle bin is, there is a left hand side menu.

Click on Premium One Drive

screenshot 1.png

From that page, click on "manage storage". You will find a "free storage: empty recycle bin" button.

screen2.png

However, as the other person in this thread mentioned, once you click on delete, it just stays stuck on a pop up that says "retrieving items".

scrren3.png

According to a 2018 conversation in the Microsoft tech team community, it's by design. If you have more than 102 items to delete, then you cannot delete anything at all. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/onedrive/empty-recycle-bin-not-working-modern-experience/m-p/...

Great example of flawed designs that don't matter to modify to please customer demand.

@UnPfhorgivenI ran into this same problem and after a lot of trial and error, I found the fix. One Drive seemsw to have a problem deleting loads of files at once. I discovered that you can batch delete from the recycle bin but only 50 items at a time. If you go over 50 the delete option vanishes. A little more time consuming, but at least it works. Hope that helps.

@Jason_Forbis where is that delete button? Can you share a screenshot?

Because I selected one item and looked everywhere but couldn't find it.

• @Floenerys once you check the files for deletion, the button appears at the top bar beside "restore" 20240613_213418.jpg