SOLVED

Sharing OneDrive Folder or SharePoint Folder with OneDrive for Business

Brass Contributor

I am in charge of creating and deploying customized MS templates for the organization I work with. I wish to set up a Workgroup Templates folder for everyone in the organization to access, but employees are scattered throughout the world in offices and in remote locations so a network drive was not an option. It was suggested by a templates expert that I use a shared OneDrive folder as the Workgroup Templates location.

The shared OneDrive folder setup works fine on my colleague's Mac computer but I cannot sync it to my OneDrive app on my Windows computer.

Having done research, I do now understand that syncing a shared folder with the new OneDrive app isn't possible. But I am further confused by this page which implies that it is possible to sync shared OneDrive files OR SharePoint files/folders within a business. This page was updated in October 2017. 

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Enable-users-to-sync-SharePoint-files-with-the-new-OneDrive...

I have tried setting up a SharePoint site and syncing that folder too, but it doesn't work either. 

Could someone please help me understand what's possible and perhaps find a work around for this? 

20 Replies

@Jessica Kavanagh- Thanks for your very clear, detailed explanation of the problem you were facing and for adding your additional post explaining where you ended up. Good luck with your future work.

Cheers,

Peter