One drive slow sync/clogging up network capacity

Copper Contributor

My question is kind of simple but I'm running into an issue with one drive really bogging down our network.  We get on average 50Mbs speed coming into our building, our supporting IT services have suggested we reduce our file size we have one folder that houses some 400k files but after shrinking that down to 200k we're still having a lot of the same issues.  Another curiosity with this is I've tried pulling in files from my home location to remedy the download speeds that I get here but the max I get is 15Mbs.  Is there a possibility that we've had some speed limitations put on us due to the file size?  Also will reducing our file size help in any capacity with our network congestion?  Thanks in advance.

5 Replies

Hi @js1605 

From what I understand on your post, your IT support might want to look at limiting the bandwidth OneDrive uses. This can be done individually on the OneDrive Client itself: Click the OneDrive icon in the task bar, then help and settings, then settings then click the network tab. This can be adjusted to suit your network.

OneDrive.png

However, your IT provider might prefer to manage this centrally and for all uses. In this case, there are some GPO's they can use to do this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/onedrive/use-group-policy

Hope this helps,

Mark

@HidMov Thanks that does help, none of ours were limited though which maybe I should have clarified is there a way to limit from an admin/backend account?

@js1605 "wrote we have one folder that houses some 400k files but after shrinking that down to 200k we're still having a lot of the same issues."   This is really crunching on the documented recommended limits for synced files. I think you really need to look into why so many files are being required to be synced.

@Mike Williams  A lot of it comes from our company and how we handle field support.  At the time of making this transition our IT services made no mention of a limit to the number of files so that's why we are looking into ways to reduce it but still make some use of it. 

Hi @js1605 

The settings can be controlled centrally via Group Policy (link in my last post) or via InTune or a registry key chage. As @Mike Williams mentions though bringing down the number of files to sync will help. Limits can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/servicedescriptions/sharepoint-online-service-description...