Package.appxmanifest Executable attribute does not propagate AppxManifest.xml

Brass Contributor

I would like the Package.appxmanifest Application.Executable attribute to propagate to the AppxManifest.xml in the published package.

Specifically I want the executable to be PsfLauncher64.exe and not have to change that in the manifest each time I publish.

Example:

<Applications>
    <Application Id="AppTest"
      Executable="PsfLauncher64.exe"

The Application.Id attribute DOES propagate from Package.appxmanifest to AppxManifest.xml so I would expect the Executable attribute to do the same.

Does anybody know how to make this happen?

Thank you,

Brett

3 Replies

@BrettBurgeson 

You'll have to provide a little more context on your request for anyone to be able to reply.  There are many ways in which you might be trying to generate the manifest file.  What tooling are you using?

@TIMOTHY MANGAN 

Sorry about that. I did leave a lot of detail out. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I'm using a Windows Application Packaging Project in my Visual Studio 2019 solution to create an MSIX package for my application.
I want the MSIX to use PsfLauncher64.exe so I've added that to my project and changed the Executable attribute to "PsfLauncher64.exe" in the Package/Applications/Application node of the Package.appxmanifest.xml file.
When I create the app package using The Publish menu on the installer project the resulting appx file contains an AppxManifest.xml
The AppManifest.xml has the executable for the installed application in the Executable attribute of the Package/Applications/Application node rather than "Psflauncher64.exe" from the Package.appxmanifest file in the installer project.
I do not want to manually edit the AppManifest.xml file each time I generate a package.
Is there a way to propagate the Executable setting of "PsfLauncher64.exe" automatically from the Package.appxmanifest.xml file in the installer project to the AppManifest.xml in the package when I create the app package?

Thank you,

Brett

@BrettBurgeson As I'm not building packages that way I'll leave this for someone else with direct experience. (I would be using the Advanced Installer plugin to VS to generate the appxmanifest file for me).

But we can cover something you might need.  When using PsfLauncher64, you will need to include PsfRuntime64.dll and a config.json file.  That doesn't help your question but I wanted to make sure that you were aware of that.