Microsoft To-Do for Mac not opening, crashing immediately

Copper Contributor

Microsoft To-Do for Mac not opening, crashing immediately. I'm on a m1 pro max macbook, 13.4 (22F66) Ventura OS. I've tried uninstalling completely with App Cleaner, restarting, to no avail. 

This is frustrating and unacceptable. I need this app for work. It was so, so much better when it was Wunderlist years ago. Shame those guys sold out. 

Please fix this. Thanks. 

45 Replies

@bendewhurst 

I ran the following commands from the terminal:

rm -Rf ~/Library/Application\ Scripts/com.microsoft.to-do-mac/
 rm -Rf ~/Library/Group\ Containers/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.to-do-mac
 rm -Rf ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.to-do-mac
 rm -Rf ~/Library/Application Scripts/UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.to-do-mac

I may have had to sudo that last one.  

after this i relaunched, logged back in and it worked fine. 

My situation EXACTLY. To-Do forced me to update and it now immediately crashes when opening. Also did the clean uninstall and reinstall using AppCleaner, did not fix it. And have also been a user since the Wunderlist days. MS Help ticket has been ignored for 5 days, so I guess that shows what a "priority" this is. Now evaluating TickTick and ToDoist as replacements...

@Kallidus 

Did you try the above steps in the terminal? 

@fregas No. I am a graphic designer, not a Unix programmer. It is ludicrous for a user to have to dig into the guts of an OS in that way to get an app to work. I can easily export my lists to .csv from the iOS app and import to ToDoist. 

@Kallidus 

I agree.  It's not something we should have to do.  It took me about 2 hours to figure out what weird folders/files I had to remove from the Library folder.  I hope ToDoist works for you. I used it for quite a while.  

@bendewhurst 

same problem here: forced me to update and stopped working: it got stuck to a fake username (initial showing on the top left:#) and doesn't even open "settings" or "account" when I select them on the drop-down menu (just blinks, but does nothing). Of course I uninstalled and installed a few times, to no avail. From microsoft's account on facebook they replied once, telling me to be patient: an update was coming up. The update did come, I installed it on both laptop (several times, to be sure...) and desktop. The desktop version now works, but the laptop one is still in the same state. I even deleted all the microsoft stuff from the keychain. Nothing... The guys at the facebook messenger stopped replying. I am moving all time-critical stuff to mac's native app reminder. Works fine. 

Same exact situation for me ... please update if you ever find a resolution. Clearing those folders that @bendewhurst suggested did not work for me ..
I received help from Zeeshan, Microsoft Support and it works for me:

- Uninstall the To Do Mac app
- Open Finder and press CMD+Shift+G
- Enter “~/Library/Group Containers” and delete “UBF8T346G9.com.microsoft.to-do-mac” folder
- Press CMD+Shift+G
- Enter “~/Library/Containers” and delete “Microsoft To Do” folder
- Restart your device, download the app from the App Store and check.
This worked for me!! thank you so much!
Legend! That worked! :thumbs_up:
Bingo!!! Thanks!!!

Microsoft to do crashes immediately after trying to open.

I tried all the above workouts. 

they did not work

Same for me. I updated the MAC OS (from Big Sur to Sonoma), and it solved the issue.

This is my analysis: the update is only running on new versions of Mac OS. But there are users that cannot upgrade the system software, unless changing the hardware. 
So the solution could be to have a legacy version of Microsoft To Do for such users, in order for them to be able to upgrade the hardware, at a later time...

When back home I will try installing a backup version of Microsoft To Do, if I still have the backup available

I did the afore mentioned deleting of libraries as well as the deleting the app from the Applications directory.
This did not work and the To Do still bombs on startup. I can't upgrade to the latest OS as my MB Pro is too old. I'm stuck on BigSur. In the end I deleted all the To Do Libraries again and restored a pre update (December 2023) version of the App, from Time Machine. and To Do is signed in and working ok. The next challenge will be to stop the App updating itself again@genoscrooge 

you can stop automatic updates in App Store Preferences... I followed the same approach @avon_7 

@genoscrooge any chance to get a DMG, version of this public somehow? I have no back ups and I'm on Catalina still, tried everything and nothing working

There is an online/web version of To Do you can use in the mean time.

@avon_7 , boy am I glad you posted this.  Thanks a lot.

I've found the online version you mentioned.

I think it may be better than the one I had on my MacBook Pro.

There are helpful tips/speech bubbles in blue.

I'm a long time user of ToDo and before that, Wunderlist.

Two weeks ago I updated to 2.112 and of course the app would not open.

I'm running Catalina 10.15.7 on my trusty 9 year old MacBook Pro.

Is this the end of the line as far getting the latest app/or update 2.112 to work on my MacBook Pro?

Will I have to use the online version?

ToDo working fine of course on my iPhone SE first generation and iPad Pro MPF12B/A

PeterToDo