SOLVED

When screen sharing people see black screen

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I had Thinkpad laptop and was using additional monitor on and off without any issues and suddenly since 2-3 weeks, when I am trying to share my screen, people are just seeing black screen. This is with both option i,e. when using laptop alone and also with additional monitor. Note there were no issues earlier.

Last weekend, I got a new laptop which is MS Surface 3, and after installing all MS apps on this machine, I am having the same issue. This is without any additional monitors.

This is causing issues for me and my team and would appreciate quick resolution.

Thanks and Regards,

Viren

52 Replies

@G_Moriarty @WM1 

My Teams Windows App worked fine when I was NOT connected to Dodo NBN FTN. I moved to Internode and the problem went away. Dodo later reported that they had fixed the problem but I had moved off by then. 

I had even tried VPNs to get around it and the problem remained.
VPN does not work, have tried multiple times. I'm glad optus has escalated, honestly I just gave up.
Just wondering, when you had the issues, were you using the optus supplied modem/router?

Ok, I've swapped my Netgear Orbi router for an old Optus router I had lying around and it fixed the issue. The Optus guy said its therefore an issue with the Netgear router so I should take it up with them. Maybe, although I still think its an Optus issue.

Anyway, i'm happy its working.

Interesting - I have tried a DLink Taipan and Netgear Nighthawk XR1000 and both did not work. I have not tried with Optus router, I don't quite feel like redoing my entire home network.

Be interesting to see what settings are driving this?

@G_Moriarty, I am with Telstra NBN and I had the problem, but it was fix in early August.  When I had the problem, I tested with 2 routers and I had the same problem.  One was Asus and the other one was a Netgear. The problem didn't happen if I connected my computer to my phone or wireless broadband, both of them with Telstra. As workaround what worked for me was:

1. Connect to a wireless broadband

2. Disable QoS in the registry.  This worked most of the time.

Yeah, i'm using the Optus Sagemcom to do Internet and DNS, and using my Netgear Orbi doing the wifi, in AP mode. Not too hard to setup. Seems to have improved ping times as well.
I had similar issue - difference in my case was that the problem of black screen share and stuck video, was a problem on wired ethernet connection only. Wi-Fi was fine but I as a network engineer I wanted to understand the problem.

Anyhow, I still don’t know what the root cause although it appears QoS related.

The fix that worked for me:

- on your router block your LAN traffic ( source) going to internet on port 3479,3480 and 3481 destination
- in other words - block Lan Traffic source ; destination internet and destination ports: 3479,3480 and 3481.

I believe this forces mSTeams traffic to go via port 443 which is what the web version uses.

I hope it works for you.

Hi,

Do people still have this problem in 2023?

I am experiencing exactly same issues in the last few months.

Even after reimagine my laptop, the problem is still there:

• Sharing from web works perfectly 
  • Sharing from teams works sometimes, but sometimes the users see black screen and sometimes it freezes. 

@Aleksandar9 

I changed ISP from Dodo to Superloop to fix the problem.

I suggest that you try connecting via various unrelated ISPs to troubleshoot. 

Cheers,

Daryl

@Aleksandar9 ,

I too changed my internet service provider from Dodo to Optus.

@Aleksandar9 

Dodo fixed the issue...finally. Had no further issues or any reports from our staff.