SOLVED

Unable to select microphone or speaker device in Microsoft Teams (Windows 10)

Copper Contributor

Microsoft Teams is currently unable to make/receive calls due to the app being unable to set a Microphone or speaker device. 
The 'Audio Devices' profile within settings is set to 'Custom Setup' and no other option is available in the drop down (screenshot attached). 
When try to continue using the custom setup, no devices are available as the drop-downs are unclickable (screenshot attached). 

Other useful info: 

• Microsoft Teams Version: 1.2.00.24753 (64 bit). It was last updated on 22/09/2019.
  • I have uninstalled and re-installed teams. 
  • Audio devices work fine in all other applications
  • No other application is using the devices when Teams is being tested. 
57 Replies

@ninbura Awesome thank you , I received an email from elgato asking me to run the Elgato windows reporting utility which i plan on doing tomorrow, I have downloaded the beta driver you linked below once I have heard back from Elago regarding the created dump file.

@EliottI tried this but was still unable to figure it out.

...until i realized that devices are often "locked"

In Win10 open sound settings.

Go to Manage Sound devices.

Check the "output" and "input" lists of devices, and make sure you have nothing blocking or weird devices there. 

For me under "input" i had "Elgato Game capture" , I clicked that and selected DISABLE, as well as disabling my Elgato Sound Capture application that was running.

Also went into the device properties and REMOVED the abilitiy for software to take exclusive control of the Headset/mic i was using.

After fiddling back and forth suddently i got the drop-down boxes.

Removing TEAMS from the machine did nothing.

So most likely if you cannot see ANY devices in the TEAMS list of devices...it means:

• Something has taken exclusive control of your device (disable setting)
  • Something is locking your sound devices from being used by other apps (check setting)
  • Make sure no other possible apps that uses sound input and output are running like games, capture, sound recorders, speech recognition etc.  Make sure Teams is the only app running that is going to use the device.
  • Most likely teams may show devices again. Try a few reboots too. With shutdown.

Toffys Service

Norway

As a few others have mentioned, ChromaCam was the culprit for me. If you use Teams, do not install ChromaCam, it'll lock up mic and camera settings in Teams. After uninstalling ChromaCam, Teams started worked again.

It was Chromacam for me too.

Clicking the Reset Chromacam button in the app resolved the issue.

Chromacam is still installed and working.

This was my issue too! Thanks so much! Oddly enough, ChromaCam (I got it free with my USB camera) was working absolutely fine until the latest Windows Update. I had no issues for about the last 9 months... Very odd. I'm very appreciative of your sharing this idea/theory as I had tried everything else in the thread. @gharika 

Uninstall Chroma Cam or any similar applications
I am also facing the same issue
Microphone does not work with Teams
Sometimes it starts working but most of the time it does not work
However it works fine every time I test on Google

Hi @Priyank2065 ,

Per the thread - in my case it was a matter of uninstalling ChromaCam and uninstalling/reinstalling Teams. So... check that you don't have a camera "app" that might be causing the issue (stick with a generic cam... The only thing that ChromaCam allowed was custom/tailored backgrounds, which was nice, but not worth crashing Teams...).

JW

I also tried everything. Reinstalling Teams, deleting the folders, reinstalling drivers etc. etc. 

The answer of  @Dannybear83 worked for me:

"

(user A),

What I did to solve the issue was logged on as another user (user B) on the same device tested teams it allowed me to select my device settings,

So I copied user B Teams folder c:/user/userb/appdata/Microsoft/teams to c:user/usera/appdata/Microsoft/team and reopen teams and I able to select the devices"

But in my case it didnt work, when I copied the folders from a administrator account. It must be another standard user account.

Uninstalling Chroma Cam worked for me. You will need to go into task manager, disable the Chroma Cam exe file and restart you computer. Otherwise, it will not allow you to uninstall.
This solved it for me as well! Thanks a lot.

My brother has the same problem on a dell laptop with Teams (mic/headset not working & settings greyed out); but it works perfectly in most places & fails only in one particular location - his parents' house. The problem persists whether he uses the home Wi-Fi here, or uses his phone as a mobile hotspot; using the phone as a hotspot works in other places & the mic functions normally. I'm curious how this problem can occur intermittently, & at just one location. 

Thanks to all who've posted troubleshooting advice & fixes.

Louja

Going to the Sound Mixer Options in Windows 10 (which appears to possibly be named the App Volume device preferences. Applications with volume, output, and input devices are listed here. This started functioning again in the Teams app after switching the Output device setting from the default to the particular one for my headset.

FWIW my problem was with VMWare Horizon taking exclusive control of my devices.  The only resolution was to uninstall the VMWare Horizon agent from my PC.  After that Teams was one again able to connect to my camera, mic, and speakers.

This is also the case for me. Thanks for sharing.