Teams with Microsoft Modern Headset Freezing/Lagging

Copper Contributor

When using the Microsoft Modern Headset with the Teams Desktop application, it is common when attempting to pick up a phone call in our queue, that Teams will freeze or take an extremely long time to pick up calls. On the caller's end, they hear the phone call picked up, but won't hear any sound from me. I believe this may be associated with the Microsoft Team Modern Headset, as I've found that if I were to remove the dongle, Teams will immediately pick up the call and stop freezing outright.

Here is what I've attempted for diagnostic procedures.

• Removed Teams via appwiz.cpl
  • Removed Teams with Revo Uninstaller 
  • Re-created my User Profile after removing it via sysdm.cpl
  • SFC /scannow and DISM scan/repairs were completed. Corruption was reported by SFC /scannow but the issue was not resolved after the scan/repair was completed.
  • Checked for Windows Updates, this resulted in updates being installed to Windows 10 but did not resolve the issue.
  • Replaced system and Upgraded to Windows 11.
  • Reinstalled Windows 11 with a fresh installation media.
  • Tried the USB dongle on a USB External Hub, front I/O, and rear I/O of the replacement system.
  • Tested Teams On-The-Web via Google Chrome, and had zero issues with phone pickup.

I believe I have this narrowed down to the Headset when using the desktop application of Teams. Web Teams does not have any issues since Chrome is handling the interaction between the hardware of the headset instead of the Teams desktop application. I'm unsure of how to report logs for teams

14 Replies
What about the sound drivers or your anti-virus

@Cmack0 

I did check that, and also just attempted a Factory Reset on the Headset via this application.

@McKayCTR i have the same issue and it started suddenly like a week ago.... for me it happens also with web version. nothing helped, even reinstalling teams... there was no update of the headset in the meantime.

Same problem here for about two weeks.

Web Version doesn't have the same results for me, instead, I find that the Web Version just lags out for my audio with the other person on the line. Extremely odd behavior.
Same issue here, started a week ago. When I join a call, teams window freezes, even though people at the other end can hear me. Is intermittent.

Really frustrating, only bought the headset a few weeks ago and have to go back to my old wired one now.

Just to add - today I unplugged the usb adaptor and paired the headset with my laptop via bluetooth instead.

Seems to have the same functionality this way - lift mic to mute etc.

No crashing so far - certainly a good workaround if you have a bluetooth enabled PC.

Conveniently enough I have just made the same switch. It's a real shame though, you can't make use of the secondary feature of Bluetooth connected to your phone and the wireless adapter to your PC.

@McKayCTR

We have this issue all over the organisation. It started a few weeks ago and comes and goes for all users with Microsoft Modern headset. The fix so far is a reeboot or close teams and shift to another headset.

same issue here, since Version 1.6.00.16472 dropped a few weeks ago.  We have an open case with Microsoft, but no answers yet... 

also note that going back to 1.6.00.16372 fixes it, but then the auto-update eventually brings the version forward and we're back to square one. Version 1.6.00.17564 appears to still have the problem as well...
We also have this issue as of the last 2 weeks. It looks like there is another thread with more info here:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/microsoft-teams-application-freezing-with/7132...

Thanks for this analysis. I've come to the same conclusion (Windows 11 here).
It has to be related with the USB dongle that comes with the headset since re-plugging it solves the issue with Teams instantly...

Main reason for preferring to use the USB dongle is the red/green light that tells me if I'm on mute or not. (easier to see than the mic light in my opinion).