SOLVED

Teams on iOS opens tabs in a browser and not in the app

Iron Contributor

Hi

Can someone explain why this is the default behavior and why it is like this on iOS. It's really not a good way of working with Teams on iOS devices like iPads or any tablet.

When you create a Team you get the default Files library tab. This opens in the Teams app the same way it does on the Desktop Teams version. But if you add a new tab and select SharePoint Document Library this tab will open a web browser page instead of opening it inside the Teams app like the File tab does. On Windows Desktop Teams the Tabs acts the same but on iOS devices the added SharePoint Library Tab default opens in a new web browser window moving you outside of the Teams app.

Can someone explain why and what is the difference between the original Files tab that links to a SharePoint Document Library or med adding a new tab pointing to the document library.

The same way happens with OneNote and so on, the default added OneNote will load as it does on Desktop teams but if I add a new OneNote tab this will open in a web browser on iOS device but load inside the Teams app on the Desktop version.

1 Reply
best response confirmed by JimmyWork (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The Documents library tab, basically does some form of iframing to the SharePoint doc library. The Files tab in Teams currently is built using the Teams API/controls so it's a native experience. They are changing the default files tab to use a similar experience to the Doc Lib tab. I'm not 100% sure if the mobile app will be getting an update here, but probably will use the existing experience.

What you can probably do to get a better mobile experience is utilize the "Cloud Storage" option and link a folder in the default files tab to connect to another doc lib elsewhere. I believe this will allow access in the native Teams app to another library.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JimmyWork (Iron Contributor)
Solution
The Documents library tab, basically does some form of iframing to the SharePoint doc library. The Files tab in Teams currently is built using the Teams API/controls so it's a native experience. They are changing the default files tab to use a similar experience to the Doc Lib tab. I'm not 100% sure if the mobile app will be getting an update here, but probably will use the existing experience.

What you can probably do to get a better mobile experience is utilize the "Cloud Storage" option and link a folder in the default files tab to connect to another doc lib elsewhere. I believe this will allow access in the native Teams app to another library.

View solution in original post