Teams Internal user getting "Due to org policy changes this chat is no longer available."

Copper Contributor

I have an internal user attempting to message another internal user but they are getting the message "Due to org policy changes this chat is no longer available. Continue with Skype for Business". These two users were able message each other without issue until October 9th, 2020. Teams has been uninstalled and reinstalled on both computers, unfortunately to no avail. All of our users are in Islands within Teams since we still have Skype for Business running. Nothing has changed in the Teams Admin portal for these users and they are the only two that have this issue. Any ideas?

Thanks

34 Replies
Yeah, saw these as well when searching. Please update this conversation when you have tried some of the suggested troubleshooting steps and/or when Microsoft consider your ticket being resolved.

Total user headspace and timing error on my part!  I forgot about Teams Commercial Cloud being a trial license.  The trial expired, so none of my users with that license could communicate outside the organization....duh!  I put those users on a 365 Basic license and everything is golden!

UPDATE: I am in contact with Microsoft regarding the issue. They tried everything I already had tried following advices in other threads that I discovered with a similar issue. They acknowledged the issue and they are working on a fix.

Appreciate the update :thumbs_up: Have a nice weekend!
Hello,
Have you had any news on that one? Me and another org are in teams only mode but used to be on skype for business before due to our VOID provider using it. Now we are both migrated to Teams. Everything is carried out properly, checked to see via powershell (all users in both orgs are teams only), no issues connecting to other external users, no issues with the telephony. However, chatting between us is problematic. They can message me on teams (they see no skype icon), i see the messages but i get this error so i can't really interact with them. However, it appears like teams wants to redirect me to the previous skype for business thread to continue the conversation. On my mobile teams app, everything is fine so I am pretty sure it is not an issue with the tenancies.

My problem has to do with licensing.  I was using the trial license for the some of my users and an Office365 basic license for others.  The ones using the trial had to be assigned a 365 basic for their Teams to function.  @antonispgs 

@antonispgs 

Hey there. Thanks for reminding me.

On Monday Microsoft resolved the issue, as they say, on the backend. So nothing that I could do could help. I changed no setting, but on Monday I got a message from Microsoft Support to log-out and log-in again and that the problem is resolved.

I recommend that you contact Microsoft support and they should be able to help you.

For posterity, all my team members were on the trial license, so it could have played a role in the problem. But now the problem is solved.

Hi! same exact thing. On my iPhone, I can chat with that external person but not on Windows clients where I only see the external guy incoming chat. Signed in and out, also deleted content in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams. ( and I have a STD lic)
SwissMike

@Peter Farrell  Which folder you cleaned up from %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams folder

@RadeMM 

Is this problem fixed now? I am still facing same error.

@andychoi 

Yes, the problem was fixed by Microsoft Support.

As they told me it had to be solved on their end. There is nothing you can do on your end. Please contact Microsoft Support and prepare to be patient.

Did anything else ever come of this? I am now having this exact issue.

@RadeMM - when you say "contact Microsoft Support" - how did you engage them for this topic exactly? Thanks!

@JSmith94 

There are two things to do and see if it clears things up.

1) if for the individual user you will shut down teams through task manager if needed, then navigate to folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams.  This is where cache is stored and you can delete the whole teams folder (or rename) and when you start teams up it will recreate the folder.

2) make the whole org your coexistence and upgrade settings Teams Only

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/setting-your-coexistence-and-upgrade-settings

@Fixxser2 @JSmith94 

Hi Guys, 

I posted the fix for this issue with screenies on our website some time ago if you need help with this - the important thing is to WAIT after the steps have been carried out, this seems odd but trust me these changes DO NOT roll out immediately but they do eventually 

[SOLVED] Due to org policy changes, this chat is no longer available. Continue with Skype for Busine...

Hope this helps 

Simon