Separate pop-up window for new 'incoming' chats

Brass Contributor

Hello, I'm sorry if this has already been asked.  I've looked and haven't been able to easily locate it.  Feel free to point me to the conversation if it already exists.

So I understand that Teams now allows you to have a separate pop-out windows to chat with someone so you can continue working in teams with that chat open.  But my question is more related to incoming chats.  I tend to receive multiple chats from several people and chats get buried and missed for long period by simply having them bolded in 'Recent' chats.

Is there a way to have a separate chat window automatically pop-out when a new 'incoming' chat is received and have them highlighted as separate windows in the task bar?  This is functionality my company previously had in Skype for Business and it was helpful to make sure I get to all chats that are sent me.

Thank you for your help!

Chris

31 Replies
I agree. I fear though if MS implements auto pop-up of incoming chats then all the “junk” meeting/group chats will be a part of this. That would also be annoying. So, the setting for that should have an option for only doing that with direct individual (1:1) chats.

@cdublyoo 

Since teams already have the option to popout individual chats (which i think was added after the original post was written) I would propose to at least be able to configure for a chat to open in a new window when clicking the notification, instead of going directly to the chat in the teams main app.

also, meeting chats, for some reason cannot be popped out :\

sometimes after the meeting has ended, it remains there for months as the main means of communication for the topic of the meeting. it would be nice to be able to pop them up too.

@Linus Cansby that is a serious design flaw!!! Did Microsoft even bother to get a human design engineer to review this!? There are a lot of us that want an separate window for incoming automatically. The fact I have to literally do this manually (3 clicks) just shows laziness of Microsoft Coders....

@Geister1819 to be fair to the developers, it was probably bad management decisions that they had to go implement, rather than the developers being lazy...

This is such a frustrating subject with me.  We just switced to teams from Softros and that little thing can make a window pop out when someone chats me but Microsoft CAN'T???  okay.  Do away with the little corner notification and open up the dang window instead!!!!  It can't be that hard....

@Chester760 

This is frustrating and makes no sense to me.  Messages come in and if I miss the initial popup notification on the tray, it's often hours or days later that I notice a missed message.  Not sure how this is supposed to work; for users who are not complaining about this, I wonder how they are using the app.  E.g. do they somehow never miss incoming messages, or periodically check the Teams app for missed messages, or do something else. 

We use Skype and Teams, and the vast majority of our users are still on Skype so, for me, Teams is just an annoying tool that a few techies are using.  

@steve_lion It is so very annoying what i have to do to make it work for me which includes opening teams, popping out my most used people, i have three or four.  then i move their particular window to different spots on my two monitors.  check the "files" on the main window, minimize everything.  then, when someone writes the red explantion point is all i have to tell me i have something incoming.  i hover over the teams icon to see which window is blinking then i click on that particular window.  it is awful but whatever, got no other choice.  it's STUPID.

@kristinkj Softros is so good! I'm sorry you had to downgrade. Teams is my least favorite messenger I've ever used.

Softros was nice! Now that we are all chatting is there some way we can get them to take notice???? small fish... oh well
There are several requests for this already and sadly MS doesn't seem to pay much attention to them. https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/search/ad198462-1c1c-ec11-b6e7-0022481f8472?q=incoming...
Let's pick an existing request and everyone upvote to gain visibility.
https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/8331d069-8797-ed11-a81b-6045bdaf6a9e

The feedback posts seem to keep disappearing. Here's one that seems to be related, has the most votes, and is tagged with "We're working on this". Might I suggest some additional details be shared and the post upvoted here:

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/585a052f-79bd-ed11-83ff-000d3a1ab7d1