Right-Clicking Chat Field & Spell Checking Not Working

Copper Contributor

We are encountering an issue with the last few revisions of Teams.  When right-clicking a chat field to receive a spell-checking suggestion or right-clicking to paste, no right-click menu appears.

If you close and clear the Teams cache in %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams and restart the client, it will work fine.  However, if you close the client again, right-click functions no longer work.  What is interesting is that this only happens on the Chats with groups or individuals.  You can right-click fine if chatting within a Teams channel or if you pop-out the individual chat.  You can right-click a chat that is occurring within the window showing all of the avatars during a live meeting, however if you navigate to the same chat within the Chat listings, the right-click does not work.

Upon troubleshooting, I found that the SETTINGS.JSON file is being changed after the initial closing of the client.  The paths within the file are totally different with extra slashes than from the initial file.  Not sure if this is causing the problem, however deleting the SETTINGS.JSON file and restarting the client will work for that session until of course you close it again, where the file is changed again upon closing.

Can someone at Microsoft look further into this?  This seems like a bug that is now occurring in the last few releases.  While there are workarounds, it is something that is causing issues with staff.  I have been able to duplicate this on other clients as well.  I am currently running Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.11163 (64-bit).  We are also in the GCC if that helps so not sure if it is isolated to only GCC users.

Thank you!

Los

47 Replies
This worked for me also! Thank you!
This happens outside the preview builds as well. We see it on multiple users none of which are on any of the preview builds (And on mine its build 1.6.00.24078 as of today) and its been going on for years now. Some builds will fix it for a bit then it will come roaring its ulgy head back up. And to confirm this is also the regular version of Teams not "New Teams" which is even more broken with all its video issues.

Looks like it's now been resolved!

I'm now on Version 1.6.00.26959 and all is well with the world.

If you're lurking, thanks dev team! :happyface:

What was fixed for you? I don't see that update yet
My issue was the same as the OP; when I right clicked on a misspelled word I was not getting suggestions for the correct spellings unless I popped out the chat window. I'm now seeing the spellcheck suggestions in all areas of Teams without having to pop out the window.
I see the update now. We will see how long the spell check right click works now for me. After this update my outlook won't display people's availability icon. Only if I select "New Outlook" Which the sorting sucks so I don't want to use that. Why can't everything just work together.
Thanks for your post that we have it fixed in newer version now
I like to confirm it works also for 1.6.00.26909
And just one more comment on preview builds, shouldn't those preview build rely on latest production build base!
Looks like this time an issue which was already fixed/improved in production keeps active in preview version.
Let's assume it is fixed now in both latest production and preview builds.
Time to mark that thread as Solved with newer version.
Both the New Team and New outlook are not what I need. Both seem to take away options vs add useful options. Seems like they are trying to make like the online version, and those are not what users want. So Far my outlook status is still working.