Outlook "Share to TEAMS" cant find certain channels

Iron Contributor

The new "Share to TEAMS" is showing up for our users, and it is a great feature, but there are serious problems with the search within the app.  We are able to search for users with no issue, but searching for a group or channel is rarely successful.  I would guestimate that only 25% of my channels show up in the search.  I have already verified that channels don't show up even if I am an owner of the group.  And there is no way to search for a "General" channel.  There are no results for us.  Is this a problem with our environment, or a known issue with the feature? 

On a side note, I've always had trouble sharing thing from my phone to Teams if I'm looking for a "General" channel.   

35 Replies
I have the issue described by some before, I can only see the general channel, searching for other channels doesn't return any records. Do you mind explaining "request my inclusion in the M365 group". This may solve my issue.
Thank you
To request the inclousion to the M365 group can use the Outlook client and "groups" on the left side. By right-clicking, existing groups can be searched for and there it is possible to join by means of request.
I have come accross this issue, and none of the advise below is working for me.
Have you, (or anyone else contibuting) had any guidence from Microsoft?

@Whiten100 No, not really, but I rarely use this function nowadays

@Whiten100 no more help, this issue is still there and sometime very frustrating !

@Whiten100  I don’t believe there are any updates. Interesting that on an iOS device it seems like all other channels are available and General is not. This makes it practically impossible to use this feature now. 

I haven’t read through all of the replies but my experience is that you can only access the General channel from the Windows environment. In iOS, General is the only channel you CANNOT access. So there is no work around that would allow you to dump all emails into one specific channel.
The only way I've found to successfully share to a Teams channel from Outlook is to copy the email address for the channel and then forward the email to that address. My channel names rarely come up in a search or recently used list. It would really be nice if Microsoft could fix this so that users didn't have to switch back and forth between the two applications to share an email.

This is the only solution that works.  Crazy that Microsoft can't fix this issue.

@Roxanne_A 

@Eric_H 

I found a solutions that worked for me. Delete the Share to Teams from the ribbon. Close and reopen Outlook. Add the Share to Teams again to the ribbon. 

@SaraQ7, Interesting.  How did you do that?  I cannot seem to delete the icon from the ribbon.  I went to "Customize Ribbon" in the settings and it is greyed out and cannot be removed.  I also looked for it from the add-ins menu but I did not find it listed or a way to disable it.   Isn't this "Share to Teams" feature controlled from the admin side?  I found this:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-outlook-share-teams   and looks like I'd have to identify the app GUID and disable via powershell?  

@Eric_H 

I removed via customized ribbon, expanded Home(mail) and removed >teams.

Closed Outlook, re-opened and re-added teams to the customize ribbon again.

I also removed via Outlook Options / Quick Access Toolbar

Identified the Icon on the right side under the "Customize quick access toolbar" clicked remove. Closed Outlook, re-opened and re-added the Share to teams again.

Not sure if is related to it but I also opened Teams on the web and added a folder under my documents. Kept teams open on the web during the process or removing it from the customized toolbar. 

@SaraQ7 Found the same solution as you in terms of adding and restoring 'Share to Teams' and having teams open in my browser.  Challenge then is they all disappear afterwards anyway... 

Slack is so much better in my mind.

Same issue. Only people and chat shows up while searching in the "Share to Teams" option, no groups or channels appear.
I've had the same issue, tried the two "Share to Teams" extensions and both didn't work. Only thing that worked for me was to pin the relevant channel on Teams, then it was visible.
I wonder if it has to do with using icons in the channel names? Most of my channels have an icon at the beginning of the channel name.