Mysterious call quality issue, hapenning only between users in the org

Copper Contributor

We're a small organization using Microsoft 365. Teams call quality is usually great when speaking with outside users (whether in a scheduled Teams meeting or when directly calling a user from another organization).

However, there's a strange call quality issue happening in virtually all internal calls (between users of our organization): Audio of one or both parties suddenly stops, and only the video of that party is visible. This is sometimes accompanied by a "low call quality" pop-up message. The issue is resolved after a few dozen seconds, but can repeat later in the call. The users are not on the same LAN, but rather work at different locations or from home. So this cannot be a LAN configuration issue. All users have Windows 10 PCs.

What could be the cause of this odd error?

5 Replies
Hi,

Seems to be more specific to your network. I would recommend to see if the issue is happening after any specific duration? If yes there could be a specific task on the machines which would be causing the issues as well.

Could also be an issue on the network because if you are not enabled for split tunneling then all the traffic is routing via Internal Office network which could be an issues.

Also check if the network is getting utilized 100% during the duration of the call

With Regards,
Satish U
Thanks, but I don't see how any of that helps. The network is the same network and the processes are the same processes when I'm calling someone inside my organization and someone outside of it.

@dvirg The network route is different, for an external call, or a meeting, the clients connect to a server at Microsoft, for a call between two devices on the same network they attempt to communicate peer-to-peer. I would suggest that your network has something unreliable that is limiting peer-to-peer data over the Teams ports.

Hi

When a user is working from home and a user is working from office even if you are making a teams to teams call the route path to the calls are different. Different ISP, different nearest entry point to the Microsoft Network.

With Regards,
Satish U

@RealTime_M365 OP doesn't mention if they are using a VPN, if the Teams client can route to each other directly then they will try to do a peer-to-peer call, If they can't they will connect via a server.