Moving Files from Sharepoint library to Teams Channel

Copper Contributor

I work with several tenants.  In one tenant, we are moving them from Sharepoint library into TEAMS channels.

The reason is to take advantage of the security in TEAMS.  There are several site supervisors that need access to files for their respective projects.  As such, they do not need access to everything.  Private channels allow for very simplified deployment of documents that Sharepoint does not have.

They currently have a large library sitting in a Sharepoint site.  There does not seem to be an easy way to transfer these over from Sharepoint to TEAMS.  I do not want a linked tab in TEAMS as this just gives everyone full access to everything.  I want to actively move the files from Sharepoint to TEAMS.

Is there a way to do this without bringing the entire library down locally just to push it back up?

2 Replies

@Joel_Lehr Files in Teams are SharePoint, that's why there's an Open in SharePoint button, so your question is how to copy files from one SharePoint site to the site associated with your team. Simplest way to keep it in the cloud would be to right click and choose copy, then select the new site as the destination.

@Steven Collier In my experience libraries set up in a SharePoint intranet solution won`t show up as a choice when you try to move files like that. The only choices you get are other teams channels that you have access to. 

Example: If you want to move a file from a Teams channel into a library set up in a separate intranet SharePoint solution for your company, the intranet libraries won`t appear as a choice in the "move/copy to" field. Not even if you have set them as favourites and you of course have the necessary access to the different libraries. Do you have any solutions for that? 

Why would you want to do such a move? Because some organizations use Teams for short term collaborations and SharePoint Intranett for long term document filing. Certain documents will need to be moved to an intranet library when a Teams project is finished. 

I would have loved it if you could add an intranet library to a channel in Teams and move files easily between them. Even though the Team and the intranet library have different accesses (there might be just a couple of the teams members that have access to the Intranet library. For example people that work in the organization whils external guest do not have access to the intranet, just the Team). 

Any wize ideas here would be much appreciated :D