Installation Problems Microsoft 365 Outlook app

Copper Contributor

I have a new laptop - HP with Windows 11. I am trying to access the several thousand emails and email folders I had on the laptop I am retiring. I know I can get these using Outlook.com internet, but I want these on my Outlook app also.  

At this point it looks like I have the program properly configured, but the only emails available on the new laptop are from 2017 and 2018.

What should I do?

4 Replies
I think this is the wrong channel please post it in Outlook.

@AnitaTierney  If you have properly configured the Outlook app on your new laptop, but you're only seeing emails from 2017 and 2018, it's possible that the app is not fully synced or that there might be some issues with the synchronization process.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and ensure that all your emails and folders are available in the Outlook app:

1. **Check Sync Settings: **
- Open the Outlook app on your new laptop.
- Click on the "File" tab in the top-left corner (it might also be labeled as "Home").
- Under the "Account Information" section, click on "Account Settings."
- Select "Account Settings" again from the drop-down menu.
- In the "Account Settings" window, click on the email account you want to check.
- Click on the "Change" button, and then click on "More Settings."
- In the "Internet Email Settings" window, navigate to the "Advanced" tab.
- Under the "Server Timeouts," increase the "Mail to keep offline" value to ensure that more emails are synced.

2. **Force a Manual Sync:**
- Sometimes, the app might not automatically sync all emails. To force a manual sync:
- In the Outlook app, press "F9" on your keyboard. This will initiate a manual sync and should bring in any missing emails.

3. **Check Sync Filters:**
- It's possible that the app is filtering your emails, and that's why you're only seeing emails from specific years. To check the sync filters:
- Click on the "View" tab in the Outlook app.
- Look for the "View Settings" option and click on it.
- In the "Advanced View Settings" window, click on the "Filter" button.
- Make sure there are no filters set that might be limiting the emails shown.

4. **Repair Outlook Data File:**
- If you have an Outlook data file (PST) from your previous laptop, it's possible that it's corrupted or not properly imported into the new installation. You can try repairing the data file:
- Close the Outlook app.
- Press "Win + R" on your keyboard to open the Run dialog.
- Type "scanpst.exe" (without quotes) and press Enter. This will open the Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool.
- Browse to the location of your Outlook data file and click on "Start" to begin the repair process.

5. **Check Server Sync Settings:**
- If you're using an email service like Outlook.com or Office 365, log in to the web interface (Outlook.com) and check the server sync settings to ensure that all emails are being synced to the app.

6. **Recreate the Email Account:**
- As a last resort, if none of the above steps work, you can try removing the email account from the Outlook app and then re-adding it. This will start a fresh sync and might resolve any synchronization issues.

If you're still experiencing issues after trying the above steps, you might want to consider reaching out to Microsoft Support for more specialized assistance. They can help you troubleshoot the problem further and ensure that your emails and folders are properly synced in the Outlook app.

Thanks! This helped and I will refer to it again, I am sure. Have a good day!
Hi,
Thanks. I appreciate your suggestion. Unfortunately, when I post on Outlook, it seems they reference solutions for Outlook.com. That actually may be due to my post contents however.
Also - the problem - as I thought then -- was related to synching and I saw that as a Windows issue,
Thanks again.