Group chat with guests

Steel Contributor

Hi everyone,

what is the best practice for having a group chat with guests?

I have invited some of them in our tenant (without adding them to a teams).

They should be able to switch to our tenant even if they are not part of a teams?

Or are there better way to accomplish that? As i cannot add externals to a group chat (which would really be a better solution).

BR

Stephan

3 Replies
From my experience, you can chat with your guests if they were invited to a meeting that you or a member of your tenant scheduled. I believe Teams meeting chats can go on until a party decides to leave the chat.

I have not had success arranging a 1:1 chat with an external guest (i.e. a user not in our org's tenant). This is because of our IT policy against that. Your org may have a different policy configured for guests.

I
Hi Dianne,
thanks for your answer. Yes i have read about the meeting workaround. This would be my last suggestion to my colleague.
Externals 1:1 are working fine (as i am the one configuring the IT policy ;) )
BR

Hello, I think you've already found the way as you can't add external access users to a group chat. They have to be guests (guest access) for group chat. As you have invited them to your org. they will be added with their guest accounts to AAD when accepting the invite. I'm pretty sure the guests can switch tenants as they now have an account in your org. but no team will be visible as the guests hasn't been added to a team (first time I've got that question so only assuming by experience here).

Found this UV on the topic Allow external users to access group chat – Microsoft Teams UserVoice