SOLVED

Distribution List or Security Group question

Copper Contributor

I can add a Distribution List or Security Group in Teams Channel under "Manage Team" but I can't see or add either if it is a Shared or Private channel under "Share Channel".

How so?

We really don't want to share the either channel by adding 1000 users.

Thank you for your time.

3 Replies

Hi @normberky,

let me try to answer your questions:

1. Adding Distribution Lists or Security Groups in Teams:

• In Teams, you can add Distribution Lists or Security Groups to channels to include multiple users efficiently. However, there are limitations when dealing with Shared or Private Channels.

2. Shared Channels:

• Unfortunately, adding a distribution group directly to a shared channel is not currently supported. The ability to expand a distribution group within an existing chat is also not available.
    Shared channels are designed for collaboration across organizational boundaries, and adding a large group via a distribution list might not align with the intended purpose of these channels.

3. Private Channels:

• Private Channels, meant for confidential discussions within a team subset, don't support adding Distribution Lists or Security Groups directly. This helps maintain privacy and exclusivity.
I want to add a dynamic M365 group to a shared channels within a Teams team - Microsoft Community Hu...

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

Thank you so much for your reply. Would a Security Group work for #2 Shared Channel?

So it seems we have no other options but to add members individually for either shared or private channel, correct?
best response confirmed by normberky (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @normberky,

thanks for the follow-up.

While it might seem that Security Groups could potentially serve as a solution for Shared Channels in Microsoft Teams, they unfortunately cannot be directly added, just like Distribution Lists.

Shared Channels are designed for collaboration across organizational boundaries, and adding large groups via distribution lists or security groups might not align with this purpose.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by normberky (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @normberky,

thanks for the follow-up.

While it might seem that Security Groups could potentially serve as a solution for Shared Channels in Microsoft Teams, they unfortunately cannot be directly added, just like Distribution Lists.

Shared Channels are designed for collaboration across organizational boundaries, and adding large groups via distribution lists or security groups might not align with this purpose.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)
(Twitter)

View solution in original post