SOLVED

Can i extract organization hierarchy data.

Copper Contributor

Hello,
I have my organizational hierarchy(manager and employee) created in my teams and i need to extract that in a file. 
Is there any way i can extract it?

Thank you.

6 Replies
 If you're looking to extract the organizational hierarchy from Microsoft Teams and export it to a file, the native Teams app doesn't provide a direct feature for this. However, there are alternative methods you can try:

1. Microsoft Graph API: You can utilize the Microsoft Graph API, which provides access to various Microsoft 365 data, including organizational structures. You can use the API to retrieve the necessary data and export it to a file format of your choice. This method requires development skills or assistance from a developer.

2. Third-party apps: There are third-party apps and services available that integrate with Microsoft Teams and offer advanced organizational chart features. These apps often have export options to extract the organizational hierarchy in various formats such as CSV, Excel, or PDF. Some popular apps in this category include Organimi, Pingboard, and Plumsail Org Chart.

3. Manual creation: If the hierarchy is not too large, you can manually recreate the organizational chart in a file format of your choice (e.g., using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, or specialized diagramming software). Use the information from Teams to create the chart structure, including managers and employees.

While these methods may require additional steps or third-party tools, they can help you extract and export the organizational hierarchy from Microsoft Teams effectively. Choose the method that best fits your requirements and available resources.

Let's hope any of these solutions would work.

Hello @muhammad_kekereekun ,

There is no three dot in my menu icon in the upper-right corner of the app.

Thanks.

If you don't see the three dots icon in the upper-right corner of the Microsoft Teams app, it's possible that you're using an older version of the app or that your app is experiencing a glitch.

Here are a few things you can try:

1. Check for updates: Make sure that you have the latest version of Microsoft Teams installed on your device. You can check for updates by going to your app store (e.g. Microsoft Store, App Store, Google Play Store) and searching for Microsoft Teams. If there's an update available, download and install it.

2. Restart the app: Close the Microsoft Teams app and then reopen it. Sometimes a simple restart can fix app issues.

3. Reinstall the app: If the above steps don't work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Microsoft Teams app. This can help fix any underlying software issues that might be causing the missing three dots icon.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.
I have an admin account. I do have the three dots icon. I do not see an export menu item/option.
Teams Version 1.6.00.11166 (64-bit). Updated 10-May-2023.
As such, there does not seem to be a way to natively export the organization chart displayed in Teams?...
Apologies for the confusion. If you're looking to extract the organizational hierarchy from Microsoft Teams and export it to a file, the native Teams app doesn't provide a direct feature for this. However, there are alternative methods you can try:

1. Microsoft Graph API: You can utilize the Microsoft Graph API, which provides access to various Microsoft 365 data, including organizational structures. You can use the API to retrieve the necessary data and export it to a file format of your choice. This method requires development skills or assistance from a developer.

2. Third-party apps: There are third-party apps and services available that integrate with Microsoft Teams and offer advanced organizational chart features. These apps often have export options to extract the organizational hierarchy in various formats such as CSV, Excel, or PDF. Some popular apps in this category include Organimi, Pingboard, and Plumsail Org Chart.

3. Manual creation: If the hierarchy is not too large, you can manually recreate the organizational chart in a file format of your choice (e.g., using Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, or specialized diagramming software). Use the information from Teams to create the chart structure, including managers and employees.

While these methods may require additional steps or third-party tools, they can help you extract and export the organizational hierarchy from Microsoft Teams effectively. Choose the method that best fits your requirements and available resources.

Let's hope any of these solutions would work.
best response confirmed by MichalAllen (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Sanskruti30 ,

Currently, Microsoft Teams does not provide a direct feature to extract organization hierarchy data. However, you can obtain organization hierarchy information by leveraging other Microsoft 365 tools and services. Here's one approach to extract organization hierarchy data from Microsoft Teams:

1. Access Azure Active Directory (AAD): Log in to the Microsoft 365 admin center (admin.microsoft.com) using an account with administrative privileges. Navigate to "Azure Active Directory" under the "Admin centers" section.

2. Export user data: In the Azure Active Directory portal, go to "Users" and select "Active users." You can choose to export the user data to a CSV file by clicking on the "Download" button. This file will contain information such as user names, job titles, and other relevant details.

3. Import the CSV file into a spreadsheet tool: Open the exported CSV file in a spreadsheet tool like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.

4. Organize the data: In the spreadsheet, you can sort and filter the data based on job titles, departments, or any other criteria that define the organization hierarchy.

5. Analyze and visualize the hierarchy: Use the data in the spreadsheet to analyze and visualize the organization hierarchy. You can create a visual representation like an org chart or any other format that suits your needs.

It's important to note that the extracted organization hierarchy data will be based on the user information stored in Azure Active Directory, which might not be specific to Microsoft Teams. Therefore, you may need to refine the data further to focus specifically on Teams-related roles or settings if that is your primary requirement.

Additionally, there are third-party tools and services available that integrate with Microsoft Teams and provide enhanced organization analytics and reporting capabilities. These tools can offer more advanced features for extracting and visualizing organization hierarchy data.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MichalAllen (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi @Sanskruti30 ,

Currently, Microsoft Teams does not provide a direct feature to extract organization hierarchy data. However, you can obtain organization hierarchy information by leveraging other Microsoft 365 tools and services. Here's one approach to extract organization hierarchy data from Microsoft Teams:

1. Access Azure Active Directory (AAD): Log in to the Microsoft 365 admin center (admin.microsoft.com) using an account with administrative privileges. Navigate to "Azure Active Directory" under the "Admin centers" section.

2. Export user data: In the Azure Active Directory portal, go to "Users" and select "Active users." You can choose to export the user data to a CSV file by clicking on the "Download" button. This file will contain information such as user names, job titles, and other relevant details.

3. Import the CSV file into a spreadsheet tool: Open the exported CSV file in a spreadsheet tool like Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.

4. Organize the data: In the spreadsheet, you can sort and filter the data based on job titles, departments, or any other criteria that define the organization hierarchy.

5. Analyze and visualize the hierarchy: Use the data in the spreadsheet to analyze and visualize the organization hierarchy. You can create a visual representation like an org chart or any other format that suits your needs.

It's important to note that the extracted organization hierarchy data will be based on the user information stored in Azure Active Directory, which might not be specific to Microsoft Teams. Therefore, you may need to refine the data further to focus specifically on Teams-related roles or settings if that is your primary requirement.

Additionally, there are third-party tools and services available that integrate with Microsoft Teams and provide enhanced organization analytics and reporting capabilities. These tools can offer more advanced features for extracting and visualizing organization hierarchy data.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

View solution in original post