1:1 calls, user is muted as soon as PSTN ringing starts

Steel Contributor

This only occurs on certain headsets, and started for our users after yesterday's Windows patch went out (10/19/2021). We're on Windows 10. User has Bose headphones; haven't confirmed if they are certified device but they've been working great until yesterday. 

Now when the user makes a call in Teams via PSTN (we have direct routing), as soon as the call is initiated the user is put on mute. This is a 1:1 phonecall initiated by the user, not joining a meeting where the client mutes you (and notifies you). 

When the user joins another meeting or makes a 1:1 call to another Teams user, it works fine. It only does this when it interprets that it's a phonecall, and the bluetooth headphones put it in mute.

Has anyone else seen this, or know of any controls in the Teams app that can control this?  There is no error, it's just a default behavior that I think should be changed, or there's a bug somewhere. The user can only tell because they can see their microphone icon showing it's muted, as soon as the call starts. They have to manually unmute their phone call (that they just initiated) every time they call out to PSTN or anything across Direct Routing link. 

54 Replies

@HendersonD I have up voted it also.  I will also open a ticket w/ MS.

Same Issue. Poly V5200 when not using the dongle. With dongle, it seems to work fine. Windows 11 MS Surface Studio.

@Chris Smith  Same thing happens with my Sennheiser HD4.50 headset, why would there be different behavior based on the headset?

@Grego91 - I just started having this issue with my Yamay BH-M20 Bluetooth headset. It began after IT pushed a Windows 10 patch/upgrade.

@Chris Smith 

Using a headset with USB plug and Bluetooth on still gives the problem, even if the headset is not BT connected

@Chris Smith 

I have been having the same issue since last fall with my Bose earbuds but I also have tried some other earbuds that have same issue. While it happens on most outgoing calls, there are some rare occasions that it will work correctly with person not muted. Have not been able to identify the difference and why those calls are not muted. Its so frustrating and I cannot find any settings that let me change it. These earbuds worked correctly prior to last fall. My only speculation was it related to an upgrade in TEAMS. I wish Microsoft would get the issue fixed as its very frustrating when you are calling someone and it mutes them...mine also many times doesn't mute call until right before they answer so its not like you can click it as soon as you dial and it works.

Same issue with me. I am using Airpod Pro

@Chris Smith 

it is really amusing that we are here debating since months and asking to who has caused the mistake (clearly is a bug) to sort out the issue when the very same ones (Microsoft) don't have a clue or maybe they know very well and to go back to normal will require an enormous effort (including financially perhaps), whichever.

Better to upset  million people's work , right?

Same issue. 8 different BT headsets all "auto-mute" the microphone ONLY on outgoing PSTN phone calls. It is definitely an issue with Teams desktop app for Windows.

Has anyone had this problem using a USB headset?

@vtohio Did you get any response from Microsoft?

I get especially frustrated when I see ads for TEAMS when they can't get it to function with a critical item for usage of the product. It's not like you can make phone calls with TEAMS in an office without headphones or you would disturb everyone around you.

@JK112002  I did not receive any assistance from MS

@LucyE6117If you use the headset thru USB cable (this is an USB only product) and accidentally the BT is on on you computer, you still get the issue.

I have the same problems as well. Is there a known issue page that we can +1 this at?
Bluetooth is never accidentally on. It is either on or off and unless your IT department has it locked down, you can change it.

That tells me that if I turn off Bluetooth, I won't have an issue with a USB headset. Since Microsoft is showing no sign of fixing the issue, it makes sense to get a USB headset.
By accidentally I meant if I forget/ leave it on from the Windows setting (without any device connected, but I actually haven't tried that,just without). USB or the good old jack. Or someone said if if we use BT USB dongle which is not the integrated BT one from the computer that looks working.Also, for some reason calling a number that goes thru a switchboard with options is working ok.
Yes, CORSAIR HS45. Plug type is like this.. Corsair headset with a TRRS plug that is plugged into a Corsair TRRS to USB adapter then plugged into a USB 2.0 port on the back of the computer. And I have tried multiple USB ports (Both USB 2.0 and 3.0) to rule out a USB problem.

@jbehring 

I'm using the Jabra Evolve 75. We just switched using from Skype to Teams for calling last month.

I get an auto "muted" every time the call starts to ring, then an auto "unmuted" as soon as the person I'm dialing picks up. So while it's technically not interfering with my call, I would still like to know why it's doing this. Still seems very buggy to me.

For what it's worth, I am having this issue using the official Microsoft Modern Headset. Mic is being muted the moment a Teams phone call starts, I have to flip the mic up then back down. Very annoying. Sometimes I cannot do it in time and the vendor hangs up.