SOLVED

Trim feature removed in new Stream?

Iron Contributor

Has the trim feature been removed in both the new (SharePoint) Stream and tradtional Stream interface? 

I discovered this today when attempting to trim a video recorded from a Teams meeting.  The trim feature was available recently when video recordings of Teams meetings were accessed in OneDrive.  

118 Replies
Uploading to Classic is not a long-term solution, with organizations able to shut it down anytime and the entire service being retired in Feb 2024.
Please add this feature back, where do we go to request this? thank you!
Why was it removed in the first place? Just put back the functionality as it was, then discuss how you can improve it. This careless way of developing costs us time and effort. Please do better, don't roll out updates before they are feature-complete.
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

I know that not having trim in Stream (on SharePoint) is painful. Full video editing will come with clipchamp being added to enterprise later this year. 

It's been a long road for us in the product group to get to a plan for what to do in Stream. We apologize for how long it's taken us. It's not easy for us to just add back the ability that was in Stream (Classic) to SharePoint, the underlying architecture and storage is very different.

Thank you for all the feedback you've shared and all the votes in the ideas forum. We've finally been able to land on a design for a simple trim option directly in Stream. We aren't able to share a timeline or roadmap item yet until we get further on the engineering design and start coding. 

Feel free to keep adding your votes and comments to this item in the Ideas forum. (I consolidated the other few ideas into this single one that joined all the votes together): 

Support for video trimming (start, end, & middle) · Community (microsoft.com)

The ability to edit or remove personal information from recordings is a much-needed feature that should be reinstated. Many recordings contain personal information that needs to be edited out or removed, and the only current option is to download, edit, and reupload the recording. This is a time-consuming and inconvenient process. It is frustrating when updates to software or services remove features that were previously available. This is a common habit in the IT world, and it is often done without any explanation or warning. It can be difficult to understand why a feature would be removed, especially when it is a useful and important one.

I'm a Mac guy and I haven't gotten straight answers from my IT team. I don't want them to use ClipChamp since it is only a consumer service currently (assuming I have that correct).

Surely Windows 10 has an app built in that can trim video.

@Marc Mroz 

We need the trim feature in the new Stream version. In a business setting, we use MS Stream to record meetings. In these meetings, we tend to use the lobby feature to be able to have a lobby. However, to make sure no one forgets, we enable the automated recording. It means any conversation that happens before we officially open the meeting to all is on the recording. Finally, it happens from time to time that people forget to stop the recording at the end. So trim is essential so the ending can be adjusted. 

In addition, it can happen that with the automated recording, someone opens the meeting early, thus starting the recording. In this case, we need to be able to trim easily and not just have a revised view of the recording. 

Thanks

Laetitia

we use teams to record webinars. We set to auto record so we don't forget to record. We also start our webinars 15 minutes prior to the start time. There is usually conversation while we are waiting for the webinar to start and we wait at the end until the end time of the session and sometimes that is several minutes of no Q&A and pretty much silence or filler convo. We share the recorded webinars out as training and don't want people to have to sit through 15 minutes of nothing until the session starts and then they sit through an hour of content and Q&A. Trim is a necessity for our company.
I feel for your team and yourself about the lag in feature releases and stuff, but to have switched the classic Stream to the SharePoint version without a Trim option is really bad. It feels like most people are in the same situation as I am. We start recordings at some time, and then actually start the presentation or the discussions, then at the end there are more nonsense stuff happening and then the recording ends. Not having a basic trim tool really makes the use of the whole Stream platform unusable. We can't be a serious company and offer streaming services to our clients and coworkers that contains garbage at the beginning and garbage at the end. Basically we then have to download the video, upload it to a platform that has some basic tools like this and then share it from that platform instead. Really disappointing to say the least.
We use GCC and have been trying to be patient but killing off Stream Classic decimated our video training program. I understand you to say the clipchamp feature will help but when will GCC have that access? I understand you to say MS is working on a "soft" solution to hide instead of actually trim. This is not a good solution if we have a FOIA request. Please put a rush on this project.
I think the trim feature is essential, and many of our users are saying they miss this feature. The option you mentioned is a nice idea, but I still see that as fundamentally different, more like chapters etc. I guess you have the potential 'conflict' with ClipChamp... but if users have to take the video out of Stream and then re-upload, this makes no sense unfortunately and quadruples the effort for a simple task that is provided in just about every other enterprise video platform.
same

@BHBrookfield I've just spent the best part of a day downloading a large workshop recording, where I then spent less than 5 minutes trimming the last 1 minute of footage in ClipChamp only to now wait for the recording to be uploaded back into the project folder (losing the chapters I made before I realised the trim feature had gone from Stream). 

Previously this would have taken me just that "less than 5 minutes" part, and I wouldn't have lost the chapters I made.

Find a way of allowing users to trim videos, even just the beginnings and ends, in Stream. It's a pretty essential feature for a great many Teams users. 

Couldn't agree more. I've just tried and realised that the "old" functionality has been turned off in our (NHS) organisation... Which doesn't allow any external video editing, etc. Significant time and effort going to be needed to get things sorted... Trimming wasn't perfect but it was much better than this!
It seems a bit silly to phase out a product that worked before the replacement product can match it in terms of such basic functionality.
Not only time-consuming and inconvenient!

I often end up with a video that is half the length and twice the size.
I have used this tool instead - and it is not just faster - it is also ridiculously fast.
The drawback is of course that you have to download the video-clip - cut it - and upload again.
(but since I always move the e.g. meeting recording from the sharepoint stream recording to the "classic stream" - that is a non-issue)

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut#download

It would have been awesome if the lossless-cut could be an integrated feature - cause it is brilliant!

@lassewatt Good idea!  

We really need the trim feature. It's super simple and was in the old version. It does take a long time for the video to process, but at least it worked. There should be a simple trim that allows you to cut out the beginning and/or ends of a video, where there is often unwanted rewatch material.

@Marc Mroz Your link to the Feedback portal seems to be broken.

This link, however, works: Support for video trimming (start, end, & middle) · Community (microsoft.com)