Using Get-AADGroupMember to show Groups only

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help please...

I've been trying to run some powershell script to get a list of members from an Intune Group, however I want to filter on group members only.  I've tried various options, such as the below...

Get-AADGroup -groupId xxxx | Get-AADGroupMember | Where-Object {$_.'@odata.type' -contains 'group'} | Get-MSGraphAllPages | Select-Object displayName

But I get no results returned.  If I remove 'Where-Object', I successfully receive all members (devices and groups), but really want to show group members only.

Could anyone provide any help?

Thanks in advance

2 Replies

Hi @LeeGee76 ,

Use this PowerShell command and it will help you get details of members of the group: (replace the group id)

Get-AzureADGroupMember -ObjectId "1xxxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx--dfae68e93ff7"

Best Regards,

Somesh

If you find this helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an “Accepted Solution”.

Hi @LeeGee76,

Because the Azure AD PowerShell module will be deprecated later this year, I would focus on the Microsoft Graph PowerShell module to be future proof. You can use the following to get the list you want:

Install-Module Microsoft.Graph.Groups
Import-Module Microsoft.Graph.Groups
Connect-MgGraph
(Get-MgGroupMember -GroupId xxxxxxx | where {$_.AdditionalProperties.'@odata.type' -contains '#microsoft.graph.group'}).AdditionalProperties.displayName

or 

$MemberGroups = Get-MgGroupMember -GroupId xxxxxxx | where {$_.AdditionalProperties.'@odata.type' -contains '#microsoft.graph.group'}
$MemberGroups.AdditionalProperties.displayName

The Microsoft Graph PowerShell generates the output a bit different from what you're used to. Most information is within the Additional Properties.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ruud