Tech Community Live: Windows edition
Jun 05 2024, 07:30 AM - 11:30 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Restrict users to rename pc

Brass Contributor

Hi,
How do prevent the users from renaming the PC name by themselves?

I have noticed that some user changed their pc name without admin privilege.
What is the setting in Intune to prevent the users to do that?  
Thanks

12 Replies
HI... Could you explain what you are trying to prevent... because normally a user cant rename the device name (system settings) if they are not local admin
Changing the device name in the company portal :

"This action changes the device name that the user can see in the Company Portal. It does not change the local device name, only the listing in the Company Portal."

So that doesn't rename the device name itself in Intune...
I agree with you but I don't know why the users have the availability to Rename their devices.
I tested now on my PC as a normal user and I could change the name - Right click on My computer- Rename this PC

@admin-CPH 

I should expect this screen to popup

Rudy_Ooms_MVP_0-1663843568235.png

Or this one when using the old method (uac icon)

Rudy_Ooms_MVP_0-1663843890117.png

Yes, The user can change the setting!
Could you check which local groups the user is member of?
All users can change the setting
Just wondering... but what happens when you right click cmd and click on run as administrator... does that prompt for uac ?
It's not possible to rename the computer for non admin's. Renaming in company portal changes only the display name. IMHO.
I know... but I guess saf-cop doesnt?
I stumbled across this post as I realized the same with one of my users.
It was an Autopilot device and we set standard user in the deployment profile.
But he really renamed the device via the settings app, it showed renamed in Intune (while rename in Company Portal is just there).

It turned out that the timeframe from importing the hash until the deployment profile was assigned was longer than user started OOBE. In Intune the deployment profile name was missing in the hardware section. Talking to the user, the OOBE was different, e.g giving it a name, even though it ended up with our device name pattern.
Just saying we used Autopilot is not proof that it is working as expected, the user was still admin.

As the deployment profile was assigned in the meantime, resetting/wiping the device, and starting from nothing had the expected OOBE & ESP, standard user was the result and user is not able to change computer name anymore.

@Olaf Thyssen what if users know the local admin password, they could be able to change the device name. Is there any policy in Intune which can restrict users to rename the PC?

@Rudy_Ooms_MVP  Please assist...is there anyway we can stop/disable renaming of the device via Intune...