SOLVED

Can't add Google accounts to Android work profiles when managed by Intune

Copper Contributor

Hello all,

Wondering if others have run into this issue and have been able to find a workaround.

An organization I'm working with is using Google Enterprise for mail services instead of Office 365 / Exchange Online, but they want to leverage Microsoft Intune to manage BYOD Android devices.

What we're finding is that, once the device is enrolled in Intune, the ability to add Google accounts to the work profile is blocked.

In the OS' account settings for the work profile the ability to add Google accounts is grayed out. For apps installed via the managed Play Store, such as GMail, attempting to add a Google account results in a message that the "action is not allowed" and "this action is disabled". 

The result of this is Android users are unable to access their enterprise mail or other Google Enterprise services from their Android work profiles.

Other accounts, such as Hotmail or Yahoo, can be added without issue. All applicable configuration profiles and compliance settings have been removed from the device+user, and so far we haven't been able to identify any policies or settings that would only be restricting the addition of Google accounts.

My initial thought is maybe Intune inherently blocks the ability to add additional Google accounts because all enrolled Android devices share a common managed Google Play account, but I might be missing something.

Is this a known issue / limitation with Intune and Android work profiles?

Appreciate the assist.

40 Replies

The domain setting is used to specify which domains are allowed. Additional details are located here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/mem/intune/configuration/device-restrictions-android-enterprise-pe...

Regarding specific settings for Google Meet, I'm not aware of any nor does the app have any app configuration settings.