Likert scale order of statements

Copper Contributor

I have created forms with Likert scale that has 19 statements. Each time I open the form the statements are in random order. I have numbered the statements and need these to be the order I set but it is not the case. First I thought this happens when I make a copy of the form but today I realized that the order had shuffled even without me editing the form. 

forms.PNG

1 Reply

@MarinJ1200 It's bad practice to keep rating questions in any order because order can impact responses. Instead, by randomising them you ensure any impact is distributed equally across all statements.

Looking at the questions in the screenshot, there don't appear to be any that require them to be answered in any specific order, but if they do, then add as separate Likert question blocks in the form. Sometimes you may want to group similar questions together so that the respondent can see the scope of questions on this topic at once. A good example is in customer satisfaction questions where you want to probe on several dimensions of staff performance:

1) helpfulness of staff

2) availability of staff

3) knowledge of staff

However, you would still want these questions randomised to avoid any order bias creeping in. Look up 'order effects bias' if you want more info.