Microsoft Vulnerability Scanner Issue

Copper Contributor

Afternoon all,

I wonder if anyone has come across this issue before.

I am trying to set up a scan using the MS Vulnerability Scanner with Defender. Defender is saying everything is onboarded that needs to be but when I try and run the scan as below,

brianlivingstoneinsi_0-1708010651941.png

I am unable to view the scanner device. Its obviously being blocked by something and I have looked at the AV etc on the scanning device which is a VM running win 11. I looked at the event logs but it seems fine. Has anyone come across this issue before?

15 Replies
I forgot to say that when I try and select the scanner to be able to run the scan I get nothing as there is no scanner to select
We are experiencing the same issue in 3 different tenants. In one tenant we had it working, but then scanner selection has gone. Waiting for MS Support for more that 2 weeks to react to requests...
Thanks Vorland, I thought it was just me going mad. The only other thing I thought of was if there was a firewall or watchguard appliance in between the perimeter and the on prem AD which may have been blocking something as all the other devices are on boarding with no problems its just the scanner that doesnt appear when you try and run a scan. I am still trying a few things to discount and devices that may be blocking the scanner but that wouldnt affect what you have has when it worked and now its disappeared unless there is an appliance blocking something. I was going to ask is the network a hybrid set up or purely cloud? Thanks in advance
I am working with three different environments with the same result. I guess it's something on MS side. I will update you if something will be figured out.
thanks again
Regards
Brian
Same here - scanner ist not selectable... Opened a ticket :(

FYI 

May be of interest to you but I got a reply back from the Microsoft help desk (1 hour response time) must be some kind of record. This is what they said - This is a technical issue on the Microsoft side and is effecting other partners as well and Microsoft is actively working on this.

May be of interest to you but I got a reply back from the microsoft help desk (1 hour response time) must be some kind of record. This is what they said - This is a technical issue on the Microsoft side and is effecting other partners as well and Microsoft is actively working on this.
Yesterday I've had a call with Microsoft Support too. They have confirmed the same - most probably the issue is on Microsoft side. I would say, that MS should have informed about the technical issue in health center.
Thanks for keeping us updated and sharing the status!
It seems to be a bigger problem by the sounds of it as I am currently performing a workshop for a client and Microsoft have given me a 2 week extension which seems to be unheard of apparently. So hopefully it gets resolved soon.
It seems I've found a workaround (worked in two environments).
1. Start from a new "Network device authenticated scan" (I know this is not what you need)
2. Fill "Scan name" field with any value
3. Try to select the scanner (should be available at this point)
4. Cancel "Network device authenticated scan" wizard
5. Start "Windows authenticated scan"
6. Enter "Scan name"
7. Select scanner from the list (now should be available)

This sounds stupid and looks stupid as well, but in two environments (completely different) it worked for me. Now I'm event more confident that the issue is on Microsoft side.
Looking forward hearing feedback from you and continuing answering stupid/unrelated questions from Microsoft Support...
Thanks for this I will try it. I have since contacted by Microsoft and they are quite open about it being their issue but I will try what you have said . I will let you know

@Vorland 

Thanks for your suggestion - in my case the scanner is still not selectable - case at MS still open.

Morning All, just to let you all know I got a mail from Microsoft ref. my ticket saying the issue has now been resolved. They didnt say if it should just appear or if you have to uninstalled the scanner agent then install or what. So have a look and see if it appears.
I just tried and it seems that Microsoft have fixed my issue