Discrepancy in Teams Meeting Links Between Staff and Attendees

Copper Contributor

As the IT director of a private school serving 200 students, we've been utilizing MS Bookings for the past two years to manage our online Parent-Teacher Conferences (PTC). However, this month, without changing any settings in the configuration, we've encountered a significant issue. The Teams meeting link in our staff calendar differs from the link sent out in the confirmation emails received by our customers.

Essentially, staff members adding appointments to their Teams calendars are directed to one meeting room, while attendees accessing the link provided in their confirmation emails are directed to a different meeting room. This inconsistency has led to huge confusion and inconvenience for both our staff and the families we serve.

Initially, I attributed the problem to a glitch, as parents found themselves waiting indefinitely in the lobby while staff members were unable to see them in the designated meeting room. However, upon closer examination, it became evident that the discrepancy lay in the links themselves.

Upon conducting research, it appears that many other business users are encountering the same issue, but I don’t see any reference to an explanation. I can confirm that no changes were made to these meetings on our end; they were not edited or rescheduled, the problem seemed to arise spontaneously and on a large scale. To circumvent the issue, each teacher had to manually send the correct link from their calendars to every family, amounting to approximately 200 families.

If you find yourself facing a similar challenge, I invite you to join me in this discussion and share your thoughts/tips. Additionally, I would like to inquire with Microsoft: has this bug been identified and is there a resolution in progress? Users have been consistently reporting this issue since 2022.

1 Reply
To provide a clearer demonstration, I wanted to share the links.

This link was embedded in the staff calendar and provided to the attendees when they started to reach out with the issue so that they can join the meeting.
https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_ZjE1NTFhNjUtOGYzYi00NGUxLWEwOTgtNmVlZWYwMDY0O...

And this the link was included in the automatic meeting invite and in the automatic reminder sent 24h before the meeting; this is the one they used, and it directed users to an empty meeting room. I was also directed to an empty room. But it's working well now!
Apparently, this is also the link to use from a mobile web browser (?).

https://visit.teams.microsoft.com/webrtc-svc/api/route?tid=542eb69e-f2cc-43e6-b9ce-d50faaf021df&conv...

Could this be some sort of synchronization issue/bug with Microsoft servers making it impossible to resolve the link which contains many parameters?
I really don't understand what can cause this discrepancy, especially when the links are working well the days after.
Thank you for your help