SOLVED

Update calendar invite without sending 'meeting has been updated message' to attendees

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am not normally an Office 365 Administrator but find myself wearing that hat at a startup.

Someone at my company asked if it was possible to update a calendar invite without spamming all the attendees that the meeting invitation has been updated.  She often has to schedule meetings on behalf of our CEO and would like to avoid spamming everyone if she does not get the exact details the right the first time. 

Is this possible

43 Replies

@ChristianJBergstrom 

Fine - but what if you only have this option? 

Lee_Spence_1-1681198287842.png

But what if you only have the options to "Save changes and send an update" OR "Don't save. Continue editing"?

I am just updating the notes / description of the meeting (not attendees). Essentially I am editing an agenda for the meeting, so I don't need to update every attendee for each edit I make. When following (File > Save) I only get the option to Send the update or Delete changes + Close.

To complicate matters, I am in the "New Outlook" so I don't have the option that @YumiZaz shared re Quick Access Toolbar.

SURELY Microsoft must be able to resolve this for everyones benefit... Grateful to anyone with a potential workaround.

@TrishS66   THANK YOU THANK YOU  THANK YOU!!!  Been looking for months for a solution to this!

@Terry_Lazer can you tell me where, in this interface, you see "Save & Close" or even this novel "Update this instance" option?  Since I started asking this question, the most common response is to point to these non-existent options, I cannot figure out what I am missing?  Unfortunately these mysterious options are just not real for many of us - in fact I'm guessing for MOST of us on this topic.  The mostly orange screen is the edit window for a series using Outlook on a Mac.  The second image is from 365 in Chrome.

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 10.19.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 10.27.07 AM.png

@AmelieJ 

Take off all cached options and it should restore the ability to save a calendar event without triggering the send all after a restart.

MrProductivity_0-1689087829483.png

if you hit okay, you will then see another pop-up which ask if you would like to send updates to only added or deleted attendees. Hope this helps

@WinfredKwabla , unfortunately, no such pop-up with those options pops-up. 

Is there a version/OS/platform where this unicorn pop-up might exist?  It has been offered as an answer to this issue in posts on this question for the past 20 years, but I have yet to see this pop-up.

I'm trying the "new" Outlook and so far have submitted multiple suggestions and things I don't like about it. I think about 5 today so far. One complaint I just realized related to this thread. The "new" outlook appears to be like OWA which is horrible. I can no longer edit a scheduled item on my calendar and just Save these changes. I am forced to send the updates to everyone. The edits I make on MY end are rarely meant for everyone in the invite. The "new" Outlook no longer has a quick access toolbar and I can't figure out how to save these calendar edits. Has anyone else ran into this?

@kstone7_iuh , the new outlook is horrible.  Tried to use it, my grey theme is gone (compromise between eyeball burning white and can't see anything dark mode) macros broken, calendar options missing, all my shortcuts erased.  I'm hoping far wiser people who have Microsoft's ear will advocate on behalf of not forcing everyone onto this "new" version.

I am unable to update an Outlook meeting invite invitation on my macbookpro without the invitation being sent to every participant. I would like to be able to update a meeting invite and not have to send it to anyone. I have tried on my iPhone, MacBook Pro and using the web based version of Outlook. Screenshot 2023-07-27 at 5.15.09 PM.pngThe instructions provided do not work, see attachment. @ChristianJBergstrom 

What you suggest does not work for Outlook Calendar (web or application) on MacBook Pro or iPhone. Could you please suggest a functioning solution. @ChristianJBergstrom Thanks.

Yup, Welcome to the "You'll get what you get and don't get upset" philosophy of downgrading everyone from a fully functional client to a half baked web app, regardless of business workflows that depend on productivity. I have found a LOT of things no longer possible in the new webapp upgrade.

@djantz 

When I edit calendar invites, instead of saving or updating, I simple click the 'X' to close out of the window. 

deere745_1-1694097706910.png

This prompt comes up:

deere745_0-1694097550813.png

Then I choose 'save changes but don't send'.   This way I can update my bosses calendars with the info they like to see, without sending it to everyone else. 

I am still able to do this with the updates, so hopefully it works!

@deere745 Did the changes save to other people's calendars?

@hbenne1230  No, this would only be in the calendar that you edited.  This way if your manager has specific documents that only they want to see, you can add them for ease of access.   If you want all attendees to see the documents, then you would choose save and send update. 

@MrProductivity- so much agree!  INTERESTINGLY, the Office 365 Outlook webapp allows you to DUPLICATE a Meeting!  Whereas the Client version does not...  Such an interesting methodology for software development.

https://youtu.be/XeRCTkIjp4k?si=atQ5n8YnpxAmd5ei

1. Open existing meeting
  2. Update the meeting
  3. Toggle Calendar to be in "Offline" mode (Send / Receive > Work Offline)
  4. Back in the meeting you made changes to, select "Send update"
  5. Send it
  6. Go to the Email section in Outlook
  7. Go to the "Outbox" 
  8. Select the notification for the calendar item you just updated
  9. Delete the calendar item from the Outbox
  10. Return to the Calendar Section >  Send / Receive > Work Offline (but now restore your online status)
  11. Done

The calendar item should be updated, but the message should not be sent because you deleted it before going back online.

A simple, step-by-step tutorial on How to Update Outlook Meeting Without Sending Notification. YouTube Channels Travel Vlog Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/Majhopravas?sub_confirmation=1 Life Goal Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvFGHMqW-_GdeL4SOHaW7lw?sub_confirmation=1 KharaKaita ...