Office 365 Weekly digest

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone,

I have two users without global administrator rights, who receive the "Weekly digest: Office 365 changes". They do not have access to the admin center and therefore they are not able to unsubscribe.

I actually thought that the digest only was sent to administrators.

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me out.

Cheers,

Steen

13 Replies

Someone added them to receive the weekly digest?

Seriously, something happened to make them receive the digest. This doesn't happen accidentally. The digest can go to anyone, they do not have to be administrators - some people add the address of an Office 365 Group or a Team channel so that everyone in the tenant can see the digest.

@Steen Sörensen wrote:

I actually thought that the digest only was sent to administrators.

That's true by default but other addresses can be designated:

Message center Weekly digest.png

Here is the official guidance - Can I get message center posts emailed instead?

Yes! You can select to have a weekly digest emailed to you and up to two email addresses. If you need to have the digest go to more than two more people, you can send to an Office 365 group or distribution list. The emailed weekly digest is turned on by default. If you aren't getting your weekly digests, check your spam folder. See the Set preferences section of this article for more information on how to set up the weekly digest.

So, check those settings out and see if these non-admins can be removed accordingly from this option. 

Also, just to add there is a new upcoming Message center non-admin role coming out by around mid-2018:

Non-admin Message Center access.png

I'd really recommend @Thomas C. Finney Office 365 Weekly Digest blog series, out every Monday, that is readymade for bringing people up-to-speed with recent Office 365 changes and updates.

I'm aware of the message center and I'm the only, who has activated the weekly digest:

Unbenannt.png

But I have created an user account less than a week ago and he gets the digest as well. We only have two administrators in the tenant including my account and the mail only goes to the primary mail address.

Which other possibilities do I have to unsubscribe?

If the emails are erroneously being sent to recipients and can't be explained as indicated through those settings or via something else like email rules etc. I'd consider logging a service request, though you might get an official response here.

Good luck.

Adding @Brian Levenson to the conversation in case there is anything else worth checking for these unexplained weekly digest emails to non-admins.

Thanks Cian. I placed a ticket at Microsoft parallel to my post and I phoned with a technician about my issue. He confirmed that former administrators still have some leftovers in their account and still may receive the digest. This is exactely my case.

He gave my a useful tipp though. If I open the digest in OWA, I will see an extra possibility to unsubscribe:

Unbenannt.png

This part is not shown in the Oulook client. I will give this a try, otherwise I have to block the mail on the exchange server.

I think the default arrangement is that anyone who is a global administrator receives the digest. But if you input other addresses in the field, this might override it.

I believe Tony is correct, so it's quite possible that those users were former administrators and that's the reason why they are still receiving the e-mails

@Steen Sörensen wrote:

He confirmed that former administrators still have some leftovers in their account and still may receive the digest. This is exactely my case.

Thanks for the new info and the tip.  That makes sense now, that the digest emails may stick even after former admins have been demoted. So that's a good practice, get admins to unsubscribe via the setting some time in advance of a role change. 

Does that explain the user account you created less than a week ago getting the digest emails as well? Either way, I'm pleased you're close to getting this resolved or at least a workaround.

I also do believe that Tony is correct. This my my suspicion as well and now I have the aknowlledgement from Microsoft in wrting. Still it doens't explain, why a new account - which hasn't been an administrator at any time - is receving the digest, but I will figure this issue out.

Thanks you guys for helping out.

as soon as I have tried to execute the tip, I will let you know, if I was successful. Still it doesn't explain, why a new account with a new mail address (example: aa@bio.de) and a former mail address (bb@bio.de) is receing the digest. The digest is sent to both addresses. I will do some more research, but first I will try to elimintate the other issues.

This misbehaviour is not unusual. I have had accounts that were former admins suddenly start receiving the digest again. And since they aren't an admin, they can't turn it off. But then just as mysteriously they stop receiving it a short time later.

This has been a cumbersome feature since it first appeared, especially the way it was turned on by default at first (I was receiving multiple messages because I am the backup email address for service accounts that have admin rights, that kind of thing). I think a far simpler option would be a single, tenant-wide setting to specify an email address/mailbox/distribution list/group for the digest to be sent to. Set it once, in a single location, and then manage membership of the group or whatever. Probably too late to redesign it though.