Microsoft Lists - how to move?

Brass Contributor
Is there a way to move a List, e.g. from my personal space to an Office365 Group? There does not seem to be a way to do this other than using workaround of export & import to Excel.

However, if I click "Export to Excel" from Lists, all I get is a file called query.iqy. Does anybody else experience this issue?
27 Replies

@JT_User no, this just replicates the list. You may want to look at building a PowerApp instead if this is something you’ll need to replicate this often or for others. Sounds like you have the nous to build one if you have already used those elements together!

@HelloBenTeoh 

Hello, My List is in one MS Team and I need to move it to another Team. the problem is I have Dropdowns and Attachments that have to go with it. What can I do to make sure ALL of the information gets moved? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

@parkm23 Hey, I haven't tried this yet but you may be able to get some pointers here: Solved: Copy attachments from one SharePoint list to anoth... - Power Platform Community (microsoft....

You'd need to combine this as part of the process of copying your items across to the new list.

@HelloBenTeoh This doesn't help me if I have to copy the attachments and add back all the functionality. I also can't use the copy of the link because I need to move the original list in full with all it's attachments and delete the original team it was in. Please advise.

@parkm23 I’d suggest having a look through your options for SharePoint actions here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/sharepointonline/

You may find what you’re looking for

Every time I think Lists will be a nice solution to our "Excel All The Things" problem, I find some limitation that is beyond insane, making Lists the app I never can use.
If the solution involves "go to Power Automate and set up this or that" or "in Power Apps do the other thing" or even Sharepoint much of anything - you've rendered the solution unavailable to small businesses that don't have IT staff and don't WANT IT staff, they just want app that work, simply, reliably.

@LeslieP I hear you. Excel's flexibility has made it this one-stop-shop for a lot of this type of work. If it's working for you, then keep it going. The M365 suite has so many different apps, but they all have limitations or dependencies. The MOCA really highlights how 'noisy' the app collection we have is - I think it's just a case where you pick what's going to fit the way you work.

Where I see Lists working really well is when you're pairing it up with Power Automate and other services. But like you mentioned, that's a different skill set that's not available to everyone.

The problem is that "excel as a database" isn't working. It's awful. People need and want something like Airtable, Seatable, Baserow, Grist, etc - the familiar spreadsheet interface with the fields and connectivity of a relational database, able to be set up, modified, and understood by a normal person. I had hoped that Lists was Microsoft's attempt to catch up and participate in that arena. It seems not.