FSLogix and ODFC with OST files. Some users keep reverting to %localappdata%

Copper Contributor

Hi Everyone,

First post so please be gentle.

I'm posting under a personal account and not office as Firm doesn't allow joining with Firm email. 

Running Citrix / Windows 2019 Server / FSLogix 2.9.8784.63912.  All users citrix (450 users) across 20 servers.  20vCPU 86GB RAM.  We use PVS golden image and reboot all citrix servers nightly @ 3am

We use UPM so FSLogix is only for ODFC.  O365 Exchange. We do have on-prem exchange but no mailboxes on it

Scenario

We are finding that users OST files are being created on the network share (\\Server\ODFC) and are working fine for a period of time.

However users eventually 'break' (as I call it) and the OST reverts back to being created %localappdata%\Microsoft\Outlook .  Once the user is in this state at every logoff the OST file is lost and next login it is recreated in %localappdata% and the OST is being rebuilt.  When we found 120 of 450 staff in this situation it flooded our gateway for 2 hours as OSTs were being re-created every morning.

Even though FSLogix is running and setting up the user once the user's Outlook profile has created an OST in %localappdata% that's where it will get created every morning as users login. Until we do the following

So we started cleaning them up. The only way was to:

• Remote into the user's session
  • Close Outlook
  • Delete outlook profile
  • create outlook profile
  • start outlook

This would result in the OST file being created / updated again on our network share (\\Server\ODFC)

We are finding that some users are stable and remain in this state for one day, two days, one week, one month?  there's no logic or pattern.   

Once the user reverts back to defaulting the OST to %localappdata% that it where it remains until we repeat the above steps.

We are pulling our hair out on this one. 

Looking at the ODFC logs (FRXTRAY) when I review a user who breaks on that day their ODFC log is unremarkable. There's nothing in there to suggest why or what is going on.   When I compare the ODFC log from the same server on the same day for another user who didn't break they're identical (except for SIDs etc..)

We've even written a powershell script to start Outlook for the staff and the script basically does the following

• Check reg ForceOSTPath exists; if not loop
  • get ForceOSTPath value and check user can access if not loop
  • once both conditions are true start outlook.

Even after adding this - it is still breaking randomly.

I've googled and nothing is coming up. Either this is unique to us? or I'm not asking / googling the right question. 

Please help

0 Replies