How to grant permissions to deleted user's mailbox

Copper Contributor

I received a request to grant access to a deleted user's mailbox.

We are running a hybrid Exchange environment, Exchange 2019 (on-premises) and Exchange Online.

Do I need to connect the mailbox to another user (or create a new temporary user) and then grant read permissions to the mailbox.

I'm confused on process.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Dan 

1 Reply

Hi @BHBDAA,

to authorize permissions for a mailbox of a deleted user within a hybrid Exchange environment (Exchange 2019 on-premises and Exchange Online), you can follow these steps:

1. Reconnect the deleted mailbox:
    Reestablish a connection for the deleted mailbox by associating it with another existing user or creating a temporary user. This is essential as permissions can only be assigned to active mailboxes.
    Connect or restore a deleted mailbox | Microsoft Learn

2. Grant permissions:
    Once the mailbox is linked to a user account, proceed to assign permissions. The following steps illustrate how to achieve this in Exchange Server:

• Utilize the Exchange admin center (EAC) or Exchange Management Shell to allocate permissions to the mailbox.
    • The Full Access permission empowers the delegate to open, view, add, and remove contents from the mailbox.
    • If auto-mapping of mailboxes is undesired, employ the Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet in Exchange Management Shell, specifying the Full Access permission with the -AutoMapping $false setting.
    • An example of using the Add-MailboxPermission cmdlet is as follows:

Add-MailboxPermission -Identity "UserMailbox" -User "DelegateUser" -AccessRights FullAccess -InheritanceType All​

Ensure to replace "UserMailbox" with the target mailbox and "DelegateUser" with the designated user.
Add-MailboxPermission (ExchangePowerShell) | Microsoft Learn

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)